Some Kind Of A Summer/ Dave Ellingson

 

Yesterday I wrote about DC's concerts in 2016, so today I should about 2017's..so far I've avoided writing about them. And I watched the last concert  only once and it was a difficult experience. Of course that year, 2017, it's a very important part of DC legacy..but ..I'm already under the weather..

I don't know why but I have a feeling that with each day people forgetting David..And  summer has gone, it's quite dark at 6pm, my 16 year old dog blames me for all that cold and damp, the cat I'm feeding doesn't want to know me, leaves are falling like crazy in my garden,  and yesterday a guy on tv said -'she was an old woman in her 50's'. Really. No comment. It was the last straw. So let's talk about sth else, about learning English. But first this wonderful song written by Kim  Carnes' husband  and DC's friend, Dave Ellingson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IasELb7iHo

I was very frustrated in the 70s by the fact that I didn't know English. Poland was a communist country and instead English we had a lot of Russian at school. There were no press or books in English and I wanted so badly to know what my fav songs were about. And it was impossible to get lyrics. I remember there was an English course on our radio and they always played a song and translated lyrics, and later the lyrics were published in a magazine, But those songs  weren't very interesting (for me) but once was Alan Price's 'Poor People'( from' O Lucky Man film) and  for a long time it was the only English song I knew lyrics (and understood them) by heart...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR0IhDu-kIA

Very valuable lesson not only an English one..I loved the film and those songs. And Malcolm McDowell..He played Jack Cassidy many years later.

But let's return to David's music . Since the 70s I've managed to learn English a little bit, and when I really started listening to his songs I could quite easily understand what he was singing about. Sometimes I had only problems with American English and I didn't know much about American culture, but this time I could check lyrics and meaning of every word. And it was fascinating reading those lyrics and I really  learnt a lot. For example 'Some Kind Of A Summer', wonderful lyrics, they only look so simple, I had a lot of fun finding  places from the song on the map and checking 'old De Soto', I had no idea about such a car..

And I love 'Preyin' On My Mind' wrote by David, Dave Ellingson and Kim Carnes..There are no unnecessary words in this song, but while listening you can imagine  that guy who doesn't know himself what he really wants, those falling leaves and grapes, feel the wind...'you're just a dime away..'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ21YqlPVmI

 I could write about many more. Everyday Tracey Wright on David Cassidy Great Britain Group, posts a few words from a DC or TPF song for us to guess the song and write together the lyrics. It's a great fun and for me an opportunity to rediscover and read carefully those wonderful lyrics again..and it's also a free English lesson of course..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'