Take It To The Limit / Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Randy Meisner

 It's hard to be objective when you are a fan.. But I've really tried to be and I can tell you that it must have been extra hard for David when 'Gettin' It In The Street' even didn't have an American release, and his friends' albums had. Because those albums weren't better. and David did some backing vocals on them. 

Randy Meisner, his self-titled debut studio album  released in 1978. I know that Randy wasn't happy himself with it, in a way he had to make it..but..this album is boring, if it's remembered it's only because of  Take It To The Limit 's new arrangment. But that song was The Eagles hit just a few years back, in 1975. Sure Randy co-wrote it and it was him who sang it, and in a way that song was one of the reasons he left The Eagles...I can't imagine David recording new version of one of his early hits for 'Gettin It In The Streets'. 'Rock me Baby' for example. David did backing vocals on 3 songs on Randy's album : 'Please Be With Me', 'I Really Want You Here Tonight' and on this beautiful song, 'Take It To The Limit'. (imagine if DC had recorded it..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKig5gUkFfI

Even worse must have been with America's album called 'Hideaway'. In 1975 America had a very successful album called 'Hearts', number 4 on Billboard, and a single from it, 'Sister Golden Hair' became nr 1. The same year they released 'Greatest Hits' and Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell started working with David  on his RCA albums. They became friends.

DC : 'I started writing more songs with Gerry Beckley, from the group America. And it was really just wild. Every night we get to the studio at seven, had some food  sent over and stay until four or five in the morning.(..) I had my friends around me, people I felt really comfortable working with. They were working with me as contributors. not just as musicians for hire.' (David Cassidy : Could It Be Forever?, 2007)

Take This Heart from 'Home Is Where The Heart Is', wrote by David and Gerry,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f9gxQ8ZV90&t=13s

For the next album they went to Caribou Ranch in Colorado. And not only DC's album was recorded there. Also America's sixth album called Hideaway. It was finished later  in London, produced by legendary George Martin, and released in April 1976. It became nr 11 on Billboard, but I don't know why..(and I'm an America's fan). I really like only one song from it 'Today's The Day'. David Cassidy sang backup on this album. He's pictured on the inside sleeve in a small group shot. The pic is very bad, blurry, but I think I can see him. You can see for yourself on that site.

https://rockronologia.blogspot.com/2016/10/1976-hideaway-america.html

And with DC backing vocals 'Today's The Day'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckHXe0lavY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'