'Don't Call Me A Former Teen Idol..

David Cassidy told a journalist in an interview in 1998. And also : 'Don't call me a heartthrob, don't call me a sex symbol. Tell me I'm bad, tell me I'm lousy, but don't call me that..'

 'Don't Call Me A Former Teen Idol' is also the title of the book about DC I wrote in 2018. My book is one of the things fans do for David Cassidy's memory.

Yesterday I had a new reader, from Chile, and I talked about it with my very close friend, Doreen Walker , and about DC and his fans. That sure there are a lot of artists who have fans everywhere, all over the world, but David's fans are special, because they were always very faithful. This is a very interesting topic, and rather complicated one, not so black and white, and  David himself had  troubles with some fans, we can learn a lot of things from his press interviews, but yes, it's amazing how many fans were and still are faithful. In spite of everything. They run his fan clubs when he'd stopped being a teen idol, they came from Europe or Australia to see him in the theatre in the 80s and in the 90s, and later in Las Vegas. Yesterday one fan wrote that over 25 years she went to the USA 50 times because of DC, and saw over 100 shows, and of course she saw DC in concerts in the UK...And David sang for them, for his faithful fans..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYpxCsZR2Uw

Yes, there  is something special in that bond. Louise Poynton's made her  wonderful book about it, with fans' memories. Fans from all over the world, old fans like for example my friend Doreen, and new fans, like me. Because in the 70s I wasn't a fan, he was for me like a beautiful dream, a voice I longed to hear again and a face I saw once or twice in a teen mag. And David's voice and his face stayed with me , even that I didn't know about it, and didn't think  about him for many, many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uA1TIKWAw

In November 2017 I read  English press on line every day, a lot was written about David, he was in a hospital, so there were articles about his career, private life, and pics, old and new. I was sure everything would be ok, he was just 67..So it was a shock, and for many days after Nov 21st I kept reading articles, watching videos, listening to his music, reading fans' comments and tried to understand my sadness , after all he was just..a singer, and I never was a real fan..I went for a trip around the UK, and in London  spend a day walking in DC's footsteps, and I felt his presence..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BalD0lli1U

And one morning at the end of April 2018, I opened my laptop and I wrote :'Don't Call Me A Former Teen Idol', and I started writing a book. For 3 months, every morning I went for a long walk with my dog, the dog was running after  hares and foxes ( I live at the outskirts of Warsaw) and I was thinking about DC, and  what I was going to write that day. It was like I had everything in my head, so easy, I didn't think about copyrights because it was only for me, so I included the lyrics of DC's songs and pics in it, I wanted to write  everything he'd done as an artist and ..leave DC, stopped being sad about his passing. 161 pages, I finished with writing about his last concert and with 'Ricky's Tune's lyrics -..'I guess this is good-bye'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfkF3QUZhjo 

The book was read by my closest English friends, my sister, one of my daughters, Jane Reaburn and Louise Poynton. I must say that everybody liked it. And Louise wished me finding a way to publish it one day. And I found it. A lot what I wrote 3 years ago you can find in my blog.

The things we do for David Cassidy..The things we do for love..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'