November 21

 ..1970. 'I Think I Love You' became number 1 on Billboard Hot 100, for 3 weeks (19 weeks on chart). It was also number 1 in Australia and Canada, but only number 18 in the UK (February13, 1972)..More than half a century ago and nearly all of those who made this record, they died .. the writer, Tony Romeo (1938-1995), the producer, Wes Farrell (1939-1996), the arranger, Mike Melvoin (1937-2012), those great musicians - Larry Knechtel (1940-2009), Hal Blaine (1929-2019), Joe Osborn (1937-2018), Max Benett (1928-2018)..

The Partridge Family's debut single, the most memorable and most successful. I think that DC had mixed feelings about that song. In the 70s he didn't perform it live very often. His concerts' opener was 'I Can Feel Your Heartbeat' or 'Summer Days' (during the World Tour), he didn't sing it at Shawfield Stadium in Glasgow on May 24, 1974, or in Manchester on May 28, he finished that last concert with 'Rock Me Baby' and 'It's All Over Now Baby Blue'. There is no 'I Think I Love You' on 'Cassidy Live'.

But it's changed later. He realized that it was that hit with which people identified him. A blessing to have such a hit but also .. a curse.. He tried to sing it differently, but fans wanted to hear ITILY they knew, as it was recorded and sung by Keith Partridge..Let's listen how he performed ITILY and other hits on the Glen Cambpell Show ( Oct24, 1971 !). Anytime I watch this video I have an impression that he wanted to finish that song as fast as it was possible..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd28lD-nM4g

Such an enormous, everything changing success. The symbolic meaning of those dates..November21, 1970 and November21, 2017..Like his life was divided into those 2 parts..The time before ITILY and after it. I've read several times  how he said only being really happy before he'd become famous..I hope it was not true.

And one other song I will be playing today, on the day we fans all over the world are thinking about David Cassidy, on the 4th anniversary of his death.. 'I Write The Songs'. It's author and producer, Bruce Johnston's was surprised that DC'd wanted to include it on his first RCA solo album. But the instincts didn't fail David. Whatever people think..  this is his song. 

'My home lies deep within you  and I have my own room in your soul..' . 

You will live forever..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6cwUso8CA



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'