How Can I Be Sure /Felix Cavaliere, Eddie Brigati/



I have forgotten a lot of things from the 70s..Can’t remember anything from science lessons or how the first boy I fell in love with  looked like or what  his name was....But I remember what I felt and what I was doing when I first heard ‘How Can I Be Sure’.

I think I was 12..already a music fan..Sweet, Slade and  the music from the 60s..The Beatles..Animals, but mostly happy pop...something to dance to..Like hundreds of thousands in Europe I loved listening to Radio Luxembourg..it wasn’t easy, awful quality and I didn’t know any English at all..And I shared a room with my younger sister....But one evening I was alone, sitting at my desk..mostly dreaming..and suddenly….how to describe..the song was very short..left me full of unknown emotions, also sadness, and that wish to hear that song again..to hear that voice once more.Of course I didn’t catch the singer’s name..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVvkmFfq8I0


Nationaal Archief, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons


It was so many years ago,but I still feel that thrill when I hear it, right from the start.It was a great hit for David Cassidy,number 1 in the UK ,from September16th 1972,for two weeks , and number 25 in America.

'How Can I Be Sure' was inspired by great passion..Co-author Felix Cavaliere's love interest..It was a hit for The Young Rascals in 1967, peaking at number 4.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuKeSUUK-A4


David was happy to make his own version , Young Rascals was one of his favourite groups in the 60s..

And like he did with every other song, he interpreted it through his own experiences..He made this song his own. We can hear his emotions..They are so universal..for all of us..how can we be sure about love..

That's my first and maybe the best David Cassidy song..


Here is the link to The David Cassidy Connection - Cherish the Legacy. In one of the episodes, the author , Louise Poynton talks to the legendary songwriter-singer and producer, Felix Cavaliere , 'How Can I Be Sure' co-writer.

https://thedavidcassidyconnections.libsyn.com/














Comments

  1. "How Can I Be Sure" was also the first David Cassidy song I ever heard. I think it was August 1972, I was queueing at the local chip shop with my friend and the song came on the radio. I had seen posters of David in shop windows and on magazine covers but hearing that song was the moment I became a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was already a fan before "How Can I Be Sure" came out, i first saw David on The Partridge Family and in magazines in 1971, been a fan ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment was written by Doreen Walker, not the name given.

      Delete
  3. Not allowing me to comment under my name the comment above is mine, but has picked up a name that was used in a blog years ago that must be on my computer etc somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing what you felt when you first heard "How Can I Be Sure?" I can remember hearing "I Think I Love You", when it was first released, but I knew nothing of the Partridge Family at that time. I loved the song but I didn't really know much about David Cassidy then. It wasn't until later when Cherish was released that I started really taking notice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the power of DC's unique and fabulous voice. it stops you in your tracks..

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'