I Think I Love You /Tony Romeo/

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r9UtIhOI8M

It's hard to believe but I think I first heard that song in December 1998..while watching the BBC great doc 'David Cassidy : Teenage Dream'..


Btw. what a great title, he was our dream..one David and millions of girls all over the world. 

But in November 1970 when the song became number 1 hit in the US..I was 8 years old, I wasn't interested in music and we never had The Partridge Family on our tv..David Cassidy wasn't popular in Poland..I know this , because three or four years later, when I became a big music fan, and was listening to the radio all the time, I can't remember hearing his songs on Polish radio..It was like 

Nationaal Archief, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons

someone had decided (we had a censorship, Poland was a country behind the Iron Courtain) that David Cassidy wasn't good enough for Polish teens.

Donny Osmond was ok..Michael Jackson, even Marc Bolan..but not David .When someone brought 'Bravo' (German teen mag) to school (it was always a great event) , we looked at the pics (we only looked, no one knew German of course) and asked one another :'Who is that guy?'..no one had the faintest idea..Someone..famous..far..far away in  that another, free world.  David Cassidy was like a mythical character from another dimension for me..for many years..

And the song? ..I have mixed feelings..like I think David had too..In the 70s he didn't perform it very often."I Can Feel Your Heartbeat' ( his concerts' opener)..'I Woke Up In Love This Morning'..'Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted'..also a lot of his solo material..but the most important song at his concerts was 'Cherish'..not ITILY..later it became something special, the last song he ever performed live..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7yZQ_FARqs

Now I'm sure that it's a great pop masterpiece. something people remember and still enjoy listening to after half a century. It has a special meaning for fans..it had a special meaning for David Cassidy..I know that we will always feel this way..




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'