Tony Romeo, 'Morning Rider on the Road'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBc549rcF4

 I have to admit, I'm on a mission, I talk and write about Tony Romeo a lot. Everywhere I could, I don't know if anyone is interested in him, but I don't care. It's so unfair that such a talented man is so completely forgotten and there is very little info on him. I've once read a blog, and the author confessed that he had a kind of obsession about Romeo too. That he was one of many, very talented artists who didn't achieve real success, didn't make it.

David Cassidy wrote about Tony Romeo :'.he was one of the great lyrical and musical forces of the era- unique and very special. Through Wes (Farrell), Tony and I became friends.(..) Tony was romantic and he painted pictures with every line' (David Cassidy:'Could It Be Forever', 2007)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38XsRcDmTFc

So true..painted pictures..his songs are like short films, the slideshow . He wrote some of the most memorable David Cassidy's songs ; 'Being Together' ,'As Long As There's You', 'Hello, Hello', 'I Am a Clown', 'If You Ever Go' (with Wes Farrell) 'It's One Of Those Nights (Yes Love) , 'Morning Rider on the Road', 'My Christmas Card To You', 'Point Me In the Direction of Albuquerque', "Sing Me', 'Summer Days' , 'That's Be the Day', 'Together We're Better', 'We Can Never Be Friends', 'You Are Always On My Mind', 'You Don't Have To Tell Me' and of course 'I Think I Love You'..Great, fantastic songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSipwc3kKlE

Tony Romeo was born on 25th December, 1939 and died on 23rd June, 1995. 56 years old,  a heart attack. Survived by his mother and a brother. A single man, who also worked that way. He was unique also because  he wrote both - music and lyrics, he very rearly worked with someone else. It looked like that : he wrote a song all by himself , from start to finish , and then recorded  a demo, also on his own.  Besides being a songwriter he was  a talented musician ,a singer and a recording engineer..He wrote a lot of songs that way ,of which 150 were recorded, and 9 became platinum.

The songs he wrote for David Cassidy was very personal. Tony knew and understood what David was going through, and he wrote about it. David asked him for a song for his first solo album, and Tony gave him a masterpiece,  'I Am a Clown', again asked him  for another song for 'Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes' and Tony wrote another great piece, "Sing Me'. David confessed that when he'd heard the demo of that song he wept, it was so personal and so about his life.

And the pic and  'Morning Rider on the Road'? This is a  song from 'Up To Date' ,the second The Partridge Family's album from 1971.. I listen to it very often on my morning walks, also today, when I've made this pic .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJy_oW2QSlA&t=37s



Comments

  1. I hear you!! I was rediscovering my old Partridge Family albums on Spotify, and Tony's songs jumped out of me. He wrote so many of the stand-out tracks! I would love to hear song of his demos ... do you have any idea where they might be available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, to hear from another Tony Romeo's fan. I know only songs which hve appeared on You Tube..Like this one with an interesting title 'My Ol' Gin Buddy And Me', this is Tony singing
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7JXkaSu74o&list=PLRz_jz_J2_u9DXmwR4fD6fmbrxyhJzs3F&index=8

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'