A Horse With No Name/Dewey Bunnell/

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm4BrZjY_Sg

Recently I've read somewhere a strange comment. That David Cassidy wanted to be respected by his peers ,and his peers were Donny Osmond and Michael Jackson, teen idols like him...What's that supposed to mean? First of all it's not true, David was at least 8 years older..and you may like them or not . but Michael and also Donny have their place in music history, not only as teen idols....Yes, David Cassidy wanted to be respected by his peers , musicians from his generation , like e.g.  Dewey Bunnell (the author of my post's title song) and Gerry Beckley, co-founders and members of America band . They not only respected him, but also for two years in 1975 and 1976, worked with David on his RCA albums. Henry Diltz wrote (in 2019) about David, Dewey and Gerry -'Long time musical friends, they had a very spirited time singing together. We all miss David.'. They also wrote some songs together. Like that one , written by David , Gerry and another friend (and another very talented peer) Ricky Fataar - Half -past Our Bedtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0RvqI1rcbE

This song is so beautiful. It should have been a world hit. Gerry Beckley : 'I really enjoyed writing with David. They say everyone has one novel in them, but to make a career out of it is a far different thing. David is across the board ; he's capable of doing lyrics and music. He's a great piano player, a good guitar player, a nice lyricist and he's got a great voice.' (David Cassidy :Could It Be Forever, 2007)

Of course (like always) I had no idea about that collaboration at the time, but in the 70s I was a huge America's fan. It's happened that their single 'A Horse With No Name' was the first ever western record I saw, had it in my hands and listened to . Poland was a communist country, only members of the Party or people who worked for the regime could go abroad, and buy there things which were not here..like e.g. western records.. And I had a friend at school who actually had some albums. I had no idea who her  parents were, I wasn't interested in politics ,I loved music...So the day came when she invited me to her flat ( and I had to promise I  not  tell anyone about these records)..She had fantastic, very expensive record player ..and the first record she played for me was 'A Horse With No Name' ..and I fell in love with this song, those voices and those guitars..I didn't know English at all , I thought the song was about freedom ..and for the first time in my life I thought it was so unfair that I was born in Poland..and I would never go anywhere.. 

But it wasn't so bad,  in 1989 Poland became an independent, free country. I travelled a lot. After 44 years my dream came true ,and  in 2019  I  was driving Ventura Highway..Thank you Dewey, Gerry and Dan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RbvGllJGxw

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Dewey_Bunnell_%28America%29_-_TopPop_1972_3.png


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'