As Time Goes By /Herman Hupfeld/

 

The members of my family (with one exception) are not very interested in David Cassidy. Of course they know something about him, whether they like it or not, but it is my hobby so to speak, and I don't force them to listen to the David's music. But once I've shown my mum one video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhIl93zAuJU

She was speechless for a while.

'This is David Cassidy?? So...beautiful?? It can't be live..Impossible..What a voice..And Casablanca??'  I had my 5 minutes, it's not  easy to impress my mother, but that time she just couldn't find words, couldn't  believe it, she'd thought that David sang different kind of music.

But this is a problem with David, he could sing everything and when someone, who doesn't know his music asks me to play one DC's song, I don't know what to do, what to play..'Tomorrow' ?, 'New York City Life'? 'Daydreamer'? or 'Rock Me Baby'? Each time as like different person singing.

I call David 'a man in the middle'. Like many teens in the 60s he liked rock and blues, but because of his upbringing and his dad's influence, he also knew and loved those old great classics ..

He was romantic and  loved romantic songs. In 1984 he was asked what were his favourite songs, and his choice were - 'Im Not In Love' 10cc , 'Drive' The Cars, 'This Old Heart Of Mine' Isley Brothers and 'Rich Girl' Hall&Oates.

But let's return to Casablanca (1942). It was David Cassidy's number 1 movie. He saw it many times and always loved it. The song 'As Time Goes By ' was a modest hit in 1931. And it's well documented that the Casablanca's producers considered dropping the song in post-production, but since Ingrid Berman cut her hair for another part, it was impossible to change anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pfr9uXA580

When David sang this song in 1977, he was married to Kay Lenz. They looked so happy together. For a while. In 1980 their marriage was on the rocks, nevertheless Kay arranged for him a surprise Casablanca themed birthday party. David arrived at the party blindfolded, and the restaurant was decorated to look like Rick's Cafe, guests dressed in 1940's fashion..

I was in Casablanca in 2012, and also outside that cafe (on the pic), built in 2004 to impress tourists..'As Time Goes By' is played there several times every night..

Play it again, David..

Christof46, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'