It Should Have Been Me / William Stevenson, Norman Withfield/

 I can imagine how..no, I can't, how many girls cried out..IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME! when they heard that David Cassidy had got married on April 3rd , 1977 in Las Vegas.

And the song ? This is the case (in my opinion) that covers are sometimes better than an original. So first great Gladys Knight's version from the 60s      

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paHNPIXOXks

I read about it too, because his bride, Kay Lenz was in 'Rich Man, Poor Man' and everybody watched it on tv. 

We had just two national channels, which broadcast from 5pm to midnight, there was no choice. So it was on the news in Poland too. I thought that it was obvious, the most beautiful man married the most beautiful woman, I thought Kay was so pretty. I really wasn't sorry, it all happened in a different world behind the Iron Curtain, we had more serious problems, political prisoners, troubles with getting a lot of things, sugar coupons. 

Of course, I didn't care about sugar or even prisoners (it was not spoken of aloud), but I was really angry that I had to live in Poland, I had no albums , no posters, even jeans. I was 15 years old and I was rebellious. And one day I came home after school and did something ..which nobody expected..But let's first listen to David's fantastic, sensual and moving version recorded in 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLZwkXK3ut0

I had to share a room with my younger sister. That was hard. The room was divided by a bookcase in the middle, and on my side of the room  there was a bare wall, maybe 2,5 m  high and 5 m long. So, one day I came from school, took  poster paints, a large brush (we painted a lot at school) and started. I think the first one was 10cc ..in bold, big letters, each name in different colour..Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Yes, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Budgie, The Who, Animals, The Beatles, Status Quo, David Bowie, King Crimson, America, Clapton..even T.Rex and many more..But I didn't write a few names, singers I really loved but who weren't cool for my friends..And when you are 15 you want to be cool. So I didn't write those names - Karen Carpenter and David Cassidy...


The wall looked impressive, my mother didn't know what to say, my father just shook his head, they were great, later they even showed the wall to their friends.In 1995 my parents moved out and I moved in with my young family to this flat again . We painted that wall many times..another 20 years passed and at last I sold it in June of 2016. And about a month later the new owner, very nice 30sth man ( we liked each other very much) called me . :' Weronika , I feel like an archaeologist who's just discovered some lost ancient frescoes. I started doing a renovation in my daughter's future room..and do you know what Ive found under the layers of paint??'..We had a big laugh and I told him about the girl who lived in that room 40 years ago ..

Karen Carpenter and David Cassidy ..at last ...btw. do you know that Karen was just one month older than David..she was born on 2nd March 1950 and moved with her family from the East Coast to LA (like DC) when she was 13..She died  on February 4th, 1983. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C71s8eA51uU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVFXsQtvWxM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'