Fever /Eddie Cooley, Otis Blackwell(John Davenport)

Let's return to the 70s again

On the pic David (and his fans, and his entourage) at the airport in Brisbane, Australia, 1974.

The song is from 1973..

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwbPy6r5wTk&t=9s

Oh yes, he gave us fever. Maybe because I wasn't a real fan in the 70s , and I didn't read teen mags, now as a grown up woman I can't  understand how anyone could have thought DC was Keith Partridge, that sweet school boy's tv artificial character..David Cassidy, young or old, was a very sexy man, and sex was very important part of DC's image as a teen idol,  his songs, and the way he looked..I wonder what parents  thought when they'd heard their daugters listening to 'Rock Me Baby' for example,.. or 'Mae' . And David on stage..We can find a lot of articles on his phenomenal popularity, and his sex appeal.This is a fragment of one of them:

Laurel Dann (TVRadioMirror)Mag1972Jan 'The Backstage Life Of A Teenage-Sex Idol' : 'Their adoration (fans) for David Cassidy is somehow sexual - naive, innocent, pure - but sexual nonetheless. And no one of these ladies looked older than 12.(..)The ladies are satisfied after the concert , but somehow unfulfilled, but at the age of 12, they don't really understand what it is they want from David. He does.(..)He has the frail beauty of Bobby Sherman, he has the same family-style wholesomeness Ricky Nelson was projected, but at the same time he is sophisticated. He is primary an actor.(..)Half-child, he is gentle, soft , innocent..and sexy, unjaded, but really very, very aware.'

And a reminiscence after 40 years :'As a child I didn't realise I was being manipulated, as those long lashes(..) groomed me into buying his records, the only part of him I could get my hands on' (Liz Jones, Daily Mail, Nov25,2012)

But in 1985, DC's fans were much older,  wanted to be seduced once more ,and listened to new songs and new emotional interviews..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUOcBgP6pBk&t=60s

'They still love you..' of course. Ant it was mutual..

The album wasn't released in the U.S. I wonder why, because it was a real hit. The single 'Last Kiss'  (and it's truly a great pop song), first appeared, and in February 1985 peaked at#6 on the UK charts. David at last could performe live on the Top Of The Pops. The album was released in May, and in June another recording from that album, 'She Knows All About Boys' became a hit in Europe. But I like another  song, and we know that David  got such a letter in real life too (and it was a painful experience)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxhRzr7_O78&t=176s

The album 'Romance' was produced by Alan Tarney ,he had a lot of hits with Cliff Richard and Leo Sayer and also with 1985's sensation , Norwegian trio A'ha ('Take On Me'). It's a very 80's album and very European. In my opinion David had too much trust in Alan, I mean this album lack DC's personality, it's too safe, too much mainstream, David wasn't afraid in the 70's to make his own music, taking risk ..but in the 80's he wanted a commercial success and he badly  needed money. Of course this is only my opinion. In May the album reached number 20 and DC had a sold out, very successful British concert tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPC0cTlVoI8

'But the very week that 'Romance' made Top 20 in England, BMG acquired Arista and fired the whole staff, so there was nobody to promote the album.I dropped of the charts immediately. I'd made a hit record and I just didn't have support I needed from others. I had no management to speak of any more' (David Cassidy :Could It Be Forever?', 2007). He didn't give up and promoted his music himself on countless tv programmes..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTEqTnDwwnA&t=362s


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'