Saying Goodbye To Our Teen Idols

Another post I haven't planned to write..But Rusty Young died some days ago, yesterday Les McKeown, Bay City Rollers' frontman They have one thing in common, I havent thought about them for more than 40 years..Rusty meant great music for me, I had no idea how he looked like..it was the other way round with Les and his friends from Edinburgh..They were teen idols, the first such popular boys band ever ,teen idols on a really global scale, also in Poland. Suddenly Scotland became popular all over the world because of those boys.Their songs..sure it wasn't a great music, but it was music for fun, played at countless school balls, home parties, discos..everywhere..Of course it wasn't such fun for those young men, I read a little bit about Les yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ue3dAqP4io

Really our teen idols could sing and play. Real pro. Bay City Rollers was also David Cassidy's support in Holland during his World Tour, on May12th, 1974

I don't know how is it  now, but in the 70s music was very important. When you met someone it was one of the first questions asked..I was at the seaside on holiday, 1974 probably, I was sitting on a swing, sunset..some boy came..'What's your name? Where are you from? Do you like music?..Slade?..Good bye pretty boy, try somewhere else,  only Brian, Andy, Steve and Mick for me..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aja7Ixj3-w0

And I haven't changed my mind. What a great song, and what a really amazing band, so underestimated musicians, because important music critics said that their songs were simple and ...they were teen idols.. Teenagers all over the world enjoyed that music so much, it was our music..a shared passion that connected us across borders..And another memory, I'm at home after school, turn on the radio, and that news about Marc Bolan..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aja7Ixj3-w0

Yes, that was a sad day for many teens across Europe. Marc Bolan didn't want to be a teen idol, didn't want to be..like David , I heard an interview when he'd twice  said that 'I don't want to be pigeon holed alongside David Cassidy'..Really sad..Of course, everything was more than 40 years ago and we already lost so many. We enjoyed their music, they enjoyed their five minutes, because being a teen idol was and is a risky business..and a very short one.. RIP Brian, Steve, Mick, Marc, Les..and many more. Thank you for the music.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748404@N00/8570664004



Comments

  1. Yes , it was sad to hear that Les Mckeown had passed a way at only 65 ,just as it was so sad when we lost David Cassidy at the age of 67 .these artists ,bands such as bay city rollers, sweet ,Slade, TRex and David Cassidy are who I grew up listening too .I used to have a record player in my room and would also watch Top of the pops .its a strange feeling when an artist you have grown to like passes on ,it feels like your past is disappearing ,but the memories are very much there .for me it will always be David Cassidy .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hug Claudette..I haven't written about David..He wasn't my teen idol, he was unknown here. In the 70 he was for me a great voice, someone who was head and shoulders above those others. When DC died it was sth difficult to describe..But of course we are sorry that so many artists who made the soundtrack of our teenage years have gone forever. At my junior school we often had a kind of class disco, just my class and a poor teacher, music from a tape recorder, (Keith Partridge had the same in his room)..Sweet, Slade, T.Rex, and Suzie Quatro and Middle Of The Road and Mud and Paper Lace, early Elton John..mostly British music..We were very happy..

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'