Sheltered In Your Arms /Reed Vertenley, John Pagano, David Cassidy/

I have a very close English friend. She was a huge, very loyal David Cassidy's fan in the 70s, she saw him in concert in 1985 twice, she told me a lot about being his fan (sometimes it was hard), we discussed DC's music and his private life..those questions : why, if only, what a shame..etc. But about one year ago she told me she was fed up with talking about DC (and his pics), and that we should moved forward and didn't look back to the 70s, but lived in present..and also that DC hadn't recorded nothing interesting after 1990. And even that she is a real friend, she doesn't read my blog..

Of  course DC recorded some very interesting (or even great) tracks after 1990. I think that is one of the things which makes DC such an outstanding artist. That he was always searching for new challenges, that he wasn't afraid to make something new and always exciting. New musicians, new record label, new sound, new producers, new kind of music . In 1998 he made covers of his own old hits, but what covers! Absolutely new songs. I love this album , and let's first listen not to my fav songs from it , but to  a  hit (co-wrote by Lulu). The song was #25 on Adult Contemporary Chart in the U.S. 

David said :' It means more to hear me now on the radio than it did years ago. This was incredible because I remember all the years I was unable to find my way in the 80s, when I was without the sense of direction (..) People have been going -'Isn't it amazing that you have a hit?' Cassidy says 'And I'm like 'Yeah, but don't be so stunned by it. I have sold 25 millions records.' (Feb14th, 1999)

This video is rather poor quality of sound, but I love it. btw. someone wrote in a comment 'I'm a grown woman, but DC just brings out a teenage girl in me'. So true...

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyJv061kTMI

David Cassidy : 'When I recorded my album OTND, I was working 10 shows a week (EFX).I was also starting a record company and creating and producing a tv series for FOX. I was 48 and working seven days a week.(..)The pics were taken by Henry Diltz (..) I can't remember the last time I cried before that day, but I was weeping intensely for an hour prior to taking the cover photo. We went out into a canyon outside of Vegas and I stopped by the side of the road and Henry took the shot..' 

Let's listen to DC's great cover of Jerry Fuller's 'Show And Tell' from that album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRcu7uLhZyU

Old Trick, New Dog was released in May 1998, 2 weeks before official street date over the Internet ,and in less than 2 days was top 5 in online record sales. The album was produced by three young and known musicians - Dino Esposito, Peter Bunetta and Scot Rammer. DC invited them because he wanted to achieve a modern sound ,but he was the boss ,an executive producer. David Cassidy ; 'I think OTND is a good record. This album is not over produced like the previous album.(..) I was trying to get away from writing almost exclusively with Sue, which I did for the previous two albums.' 

I love this song, this is so sincere, no one like David could sing about lost love. Sheltered in Your Arms, this is such a beautiful and moving ballad..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnydTbPTkuU

And those fantastic 3 covers of old TPF's hits, I Think I Love You , I Woke Up In Love This Morning' and 'I Can Feel Your Heartbeat'. This time not a 20 year old naive boy, but 48 very experienced, mature, so handsome and very, very sexy man was singing those hits :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFuAEI1m72w&t=37s

'I Woke Up In Love This Morning' is even better, for me this is the best version of that song, absolutely amazing. The same with 'I Can Feel Your Heartbeat'.  They are like new songs, with new interpretation, singing from different point of view, after years of life experience...Say it again David..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZgVTAqGrE

 Reviews: 'During his spare time in Las Vegas, Cassidy teamed with 3 young and known producers (..) The album is fresh and contemporary with a tip of the hat to the 48 year old Cassidy's past'(pauseandplay, May24th, 1998)

 '..the old trick is the first single, a remake of ITILY. And a new dog is Cassidy himself. New because at 48, he's in the midst of a career renaissance that began in 1990(..) 'I wanted to pay homage to it' Cassidy says of ITILY 'but I also wanted to sing it as a guy 25 years later. I couldn't address it with an organic, original approach. I had to find new way of doing it'. Cassidy pumps new blood in old tricks.(..) The best moments on Old Trick, come from new tunes '(this album) Cassidy says :' has the reflections of a guy who has been through hell and back,I think it reveals a lot about me as a romanticist, an optimist and a survivor'' ''(Mark Wyckoff, May25th, 1998 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x66ymwLAgyU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Trick_New_Dog#/media/File:Oldtricknewdog.jpg


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'