'The Danger In Getting To Know David Cassidy' and some other articles from the 70s (and about one Polish librarian)

I love our DC Official Website, that amazing , great library with..who knows how many pages..maybe even 20k..Every kind of info, from the shortest articles or just  notes from the late 60s, to long , detailed analysis on DC's phenomenon, and there are concerts' audio, fans' memories, videos, radio interviews..the list of teen mags, DC in popular culture, his albums' reviews ,books about him, memorabilia, podcasts, blogs, everything you can think of related to DC. Can you imagine daily amount of work with running something like that? Just deciding and publishing updates need time..and each page needs an attention too..correcting wrong data..

I can imagine how much work and care is needed every day because I once worked in a very big high school library with 50k books , some were from the 19 century. There were only 2 of us, my dear Maria liked that uninteresting, so boring part of our profession- borrowing books, statistics, writing raports, she was sitting in one place all day long( very happy)..and I was constantly on the move , dealing with the rest, all the time among the books so to speak , organizing books on shelves, setting book returns. looking for something..picking some old volumes  in need of repair ,and talking with students about books, what they liked reading, what they read..what I could recommend.

I remember one student who asked me one day : 'I want to read the most important books ever written..Can you help me?' He was such an ordinary looking 15 year old boy from a very poor family..and for 4 years I kept giving him books to read, he kept them reading, and we discussed each one of them..and at the end he had changed so much , the best on his year..he is now a famous lawyer..,..and I also talked with those teenagers about what they wanted to do after school..what they wanted to do with their lives .about music and love, and I felt that every student and every book needed my attention from time to time .

I've been carried away a little bit, but I liked my job and I know what does it mean to run a library, even online. A little break for my fav video with a library..One of the most beautiful songs from the 80s..and I was lucky that I saw that great American band in concert

..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

On the 12th of April, Jane, The Webmaster, posted 71 new updates to mark what would have been 71st David Cassidy's birthday..Amazing,..really, so many, it's taken me some days to read the articles, because I read every single article from the 70s. They are just amazing source of info, documents of social life  in America and the UK half a century ago. First hand reports from DC's concerts, interviews, and it's amazing what we can learn from them. I'm not speaking about the teen mags, they are quite a different story, I mean serious press, local and even national. And I can say that most articles , at least in the U.S. (and those on our website) were very objective, the journalists really tried to understand, wrote about what they'd seen and who was the real DC , not the image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df4l7k4Tw4I

So what I have learned about David Cassidy from those old articles ?

- that Astrodome Houston concert looked quite different than normal concert , that actually a lot of people knew about DC and Meredith B. and how unhappy he was ,and also that they met when David was 13 years old, because Meredith's father was Evelyn Ward's manager..that of course Shirley from the beginning knew that her stepson was considered for the role....that David took his acting as seriously as his music...that he had been offered every kind of boy- meets- dog or boy- meets- horse kind of scripts existed at the time, but Ruth Aarons waited for a movie script for DC to be 1972 equivalent of The Graduate, which was a mistake because actually DC'd had very small acting experience (one very short lived musical and a handful of guest star roles on tv), that David couldn't stand listening to TPF's first album 'it's too painful to hear it', and everybody( journalists) knew that David wasn't a naive teenager, on the contrary ,and that from the beginning it was obvious that 'David Cassidy is a showman who knows how to please his audience.'..and many more..

And the danger in getting to know DC? It was an advice given one journalist  before meeting with David (in 1972).Two girls told this man :' be careful not to fell in love with him..'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQJlr1oTP1E


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'