White City , Hammersmith Park And David Cassidy

White City. When I first heard about it , I thought what a strange, romantic, mysterious name for a place in London. Why was it called White City..I had no idea.. Of course I heard about it because of David's last London concert in 1974. For many years I didn't know anything more, and where it was that White City ? Hammersmith ? Shepherd's Bush? Fulham.?? Really everything looked so complicated..Now I know why White City is such an  important part of the legacy trail for David Cassidy.

White City was built in the early 1900s as an exhibition site. It was constructed in steel and concrete and painted white, hence the name White City, so simple , nothing romantic.The stadium was added for the 1908 Olympic Game..

In 1910 a major exhibition was held in celebration of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance and also 2 gardens were made with materials imported from Japan.This exhibition was a great event, and one of those gardens, called The Garden Of Peace was converted into a more traditional London park, and it was named Hammersmith Park.

As a part of a legacy trail for David Cassidy a plaque been placed  on a bench in that Park in Feb 2019. As you can see I was in that park (with my dear English friends)  in August 2019. It was a strange experience , being in White City.

We were sitting for an hour , talking, in a caffee (outdoor) just outside the BBC headquaters , and we also wondered how many times DC was in that building..and we saw so called BBC Media Village which occupied the site of The White Stadium demolished in 1985..That was really surreal, and I was wondering how many people actually knew that once a big stadium had been there.It was Saturday and we saw people who were going for the first home match that season to Queens Park Rangers Club's ground at Loftus Road..That was amazing..whole families..I wanted to go too..

 Hammersmith Park..Every time I'm in London I try to visit as many parks as possible..Those the most famous, the biggest and those not so popular. At first I was a little disappointed..a lot of people, a lot of noisy teens..the plaque..so small..And those words..Remembering David Cassidy..And I realized that I hadn't come to terms with the fact that David Cassidy was dead..It was..strange reading it ..Remembering David..


But we want to remembering David Cassidy, and we fans are so grateful for everything The David Cassidy Group Tributes and Legacy Trail has done. This is the link to the Hammersmith Park video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7KIgxYKsY

and the link to the group's FB page

https://www.facebook.com/davidcassidylegacytrail/

the video in which you can see all plaques and other things the group achived in remembering DC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZs8tMBGk9w

the link to the article about the plaques

 https://www.thebestof.co.uk/local/hammersmith-and-fulham/community-hub/blog/view/bench-with-plaque-for-david-cassidy-at-hammersmith-park/?fbclid=IwAR0BdKj4sTDSvzS3B39ijSX3-7aK0jhVCsbqZvk9VYb8AzeeJ94VhC9vm2M

And last but absolutely not least. , each  time , with every plaque , the group, fans, support a charity in David Cassidy's memory, as a tribute. With the bench plaque the chosen charity was The British Thoroughbred Retraining Centre. I know David Cassidy would have been very happy because of it.

Thank you Sharron Liddle for helping me  writing this post


Comments

  1. Your more than welcome Weronkica
    Well done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharron. Anfd first of all thank you and other wonderful DC's fans from the UK for everything you have done so far. I know it's not the end.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'