Give me a D ! Give me an A ! Give me a V ! Give me an I ! Give me a D ! ...


The BBC Broadcasting House , the headquaters of the BBC in Portland Place in Marylebone, London. In August 2019 I spend there at least one hour one August afternoon (outside) making pics and thinking about how everything changed so quickly , and about London and David Cassidy. He  was interviewed there many times, the first time in 1972 , by David Hamilton. And this is a post about those two David's..a great singer and a great broadcaster. Cassidy and Hamilton.

I have a soft spot for David Hamilton. Such an interesting, charming, smart, funny man. A very known radio and tv personality, who's found time to exchange some very nice emails with an unknown woman from Poland, and it was such a pleasure for me. I wrote to him in 2018, when I was trying to write something about DC. David Hamilton found time for me. It says what kind of person he is. 

He was born in 1938 and started his career very early, in 1959 with the British Forces Network in Germany. Since then he has hosted over 12 000 radio shows and more than 1000 tv shows..Can you believe it ???

22 year old David Cassidy was interviewed by David Hamilton, on early morning September 9th, 1972. David Hamilton said later, that never were so many fans outside the Broadcasting House as the day David Cassidy was there...The recording of this programme is on the DC website. It's not the best quality of sound, but it's just so amazing, moving, this recording is simply priceless. At the time David was the biggest star, he came to the UK with very strong entourage, it was a promotional visit, to take him anywhere was a great challenge. DC lived on 'Ocean Sabre',  no hotel in London wanted  him. And just listen how nice and kind DC was for fans..We can also hear how tired he was..And DC's voice..Wow..Magic.

http://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/TvFilmPages/Radio1972Sept9_DavidHamilton_London.mp3

Many fans know David Hamilton as a man who compered DC's Wembley's concerts in 1973. He compered many shows, very memorable ones - The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and David Cassidy, to name a few. And this is David Hamilton at the beginning of that doc (btw. this is at last a complete 'Weekend At Wembley's copy and it's amazing) So ..'Give me a D ! Give me an A ! Give me a V! Give me an I ! Give me a D!'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYsGLjjrMMY&t=335s

The next interview is  absolutely extraordinary..From the start, ( 'Could It Be Forever'), this is  one of the most fascinating radio interviews I've ever heard in my life. David Cassidy in sincere and amazing conversation with David Hamilton, after 30 years, this time on Prime Radio, November 2003.  So interesting and eloquent men , who genuinely liked each other..It's like being together with them in the studio..

https://www.mixcloud.com/noeltyrrel/david-hamilton-talks-to-david-cassidy-primetime-radio/

And the last conversation. This time it was David Hamilton who was interviewed , by Louise Poynton for her podcast , on Feb 2nd, 2021. It's obvious that both of them had a great time together. It's a conversation which makes you laugh and smile and think and ..listen in wonder. The things he did , the people he met. So charming  and witty , so kind and interesting. He wasn't afraid to share with us many personal memories.You can learn a lot about media - press, radio and tv in the 60s or 70s ..every decade really. And about football and speedway. This is also a conversation about David Cassidy and Cassidymania. At the end of that podcast  David Hamilton said , that in his opinion David Cassidy  wanted first of all to be an actor. He became a singer, a pop star by chance..And 'he wasn't terribly happy'...

https://thedavidcassidyconnections.libsyn.com/broadcaster-david-hamilton-recalls-cassidymania



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'