David Cassidy In His Own Words

 

There is such a page on my blog - David Cassidy In His Own Words.  He wrote 2 autobiographies, gave thousands of interviews, for press, tv or radio. It was part of his job and many times, especially on tv shows, he had to say things which were written for him. Ready scripts, and even if he didn't like them he had to learn it and act. That's why I prefer newspapers interviews. I feel he was more himself with them. Sure a lot of times the things he said.. it was  PR, but especially at the beginning of his career DC was very sincere. And he was smart, witty, with a great sense of humor, sometimes sarcastic, he wasn't beating around the bush, he said what he thought. He looked like a teen but he talked like a man, very sophisticated one.

Laurel Dann wrote about DC in 1971, the article was published in January 1972, TV Radio Mirror, 'The Backstage Life of Teenage Sex Idol' -

 ' I like him , his unpretentious stance. His willingness to give of himself. There's no arrogance here. No bratty child star. He has the frail beauty of Bobby Sherman, he has the same family-style wholesomeness Ricky Nelson was projected. But at the same time he is sophisticated. He is primarily an actor. Half- child, gentle and innocent and..sexy, unjaded, but really very aware.'

http://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/InPrintPages/Mag1972Jan_TVRadioMirror.html

David Cassidy in conversation with Michael Barratt , February 1972

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvyi8Od56aU

So..young and..alone, and he had to explain why he was so famous. The question which wasn't directly asked - 'Are you worth it boy? Such fame and money? Really?'

So sometimes he had enough and some journalists repeated with delight the things he'd said : 'I'm quite emotional. I laugh a lot. Sometimes I cry.' (Oct 1971)  or : 'I read in one fan mag that I was very self-centred. And I am. I work for me, 18 hours a day. It's my gig. So I don't have time to get a point of view' (May 1972) or ' I dig someone who's settled, usually older than I am, who isn't that liable to do a lot of talking later (November 1972)

In October 1973, Nick Kent wrote an article for New Musical Express, called 'Real Cool Cassidy' in which he described a DC's press conference in England, and how journalists wanted caught him saying something sensational, something would sell well..

' Do you have any vices you'd like to tell us about, David?'  'Well, I do bite my nails.'

http://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/InPrintPages/Mag1973Oct13NewMusicalExpress.html


Hans Peters / Anefo, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'