Love & Light Always..Part 1


 Random passers- by in Hammersmith Park in London may read the sign on one of the benches. A small plate, and on it -

 'REMEMBERING DAVID CASSIDY 1950-2017

  LOVE & LIGHT ALWAYS  YOUR DEVOTED FANS'

I was there too, in August 2019, with my English friends, David Cassidy's fans. Love and Light. We often use that phrase talking about DC's legacy. But what does it really mean ? For each of us? I've understood it a few days ago. It means love and friendship which change our lives for better and forver.

I've never thought that virtual friendship could turn out to be a real and very important one. I know that there are a lot of such friendships made because of David Cassidy all over the world. I think it's because we fans have a lot in common even if we live in different countries. We are DC's fans, that's the strongest connection, but also we are of similar age, (and mostly women), we were teens in the 70s, we are the same generation, we have been taught similar things at school , listened to the same music, watched the same movies,  witnessed the same global political events,  wore similar clothes..it's very easy for us to find a common language..David Cassidy is the one who makes such friendships special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH1T7_WgqGA&t=28s

In the first months of 2018 a lot of fans posted comments on David Cassidy Official website. Still in shock, they wrote about their grief after DC had left us forever. At first I was only reading. I felt that I didn't belong to that group. I was sad too, but I didn't follow DC's career for many years, I didn't see him in concert, didn't have his albums, posters..anything. And my English was very basic. But once a German fan wrote a comment and her English wasn't better than mine.I finally dared to write something too, and my entry was very pleasantly received..Fans were kind for me, shared  a lot of memories, asked about my experiences, how it was to be a DC's fan in a communist country. After some time a kind of group developed, and  we 'talked' a lot , me and 5 other fans. Of course I knew only their names or nicks, but funny how you can 'see' someone behind the way a person writes. One was funny, another one very kind, other one reflective. We started writing, not only about David..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDMu6ArlMMI&t=11s 

One day, I think it was in May 2018, John, a fan from Manchester wrote in the middle of  our 'conversation' ;' You ladies soon will start trading recipes' or sth like that. And why not, I've thought, even that I hate cooking. We wrote John to mind his own business (very nice of course), but he really helped us to take the next step. B. set up google email address, just for a day and asked everyone who wanted to join a whatsapp group. I was the first one, and after me the other four. And something very special has started..In August 2018 we met for the first time in person, in London, at Syon Park, where Daydreamer was filmed so many years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKukFhUQPLQ&t=37s

Maxwell Hamilton, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Comments

  1. David Cassidy certainly brought love and light into my life.I have also made some great friends from Davids website .we have shared happiness and sadness together ,which has made us stronger. They have all become part of my life now and I wouldn't be without them. We are all about the same age so have quite a lot in common. We got to know each other about 3 years ago .I look forward to many years of our special friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Claudette, yes so true, happiness and sadness, good and bad days, laughter and tears, friendship and support, every day. Thank you David.

      Delete
  2. Like Weronika, at the time when David announced he was retiring from performing "Live", I was so disappointed. I was left with so many "If only I had..." wishes.
    I was a fan from 1972, never went to a concert, and therefore, never met him. I went online, found the fanclub, and read every message poster.
    It was only when the news of David's illness & passing, did I dare start to post messages.
    I'm so happy to be friends with this wonderful bunch of funny, gutsy, fiesty, down-to-earth & special friends.
    Obviously, a lot of chatter, pics and videos of David. We now chat about all sorts of real-life issues. I truly value each and every one of these lovely DC ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deb, I never forget when we met for the first time at a tube station. You and me. People watched in amazment, we were like two sisters who met after many years. It was such an amazing, magical day at Syon Park those 3 years ago. DC was with us that day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'