Blackbird / John Lennon, Paul McCartney

 I've just returned from a very unusal holiday. A mountain range at the south of Poland, a magical place, forgotten by people . There are mountains all along our south border..but those mountains are like from fairy tales. It was my sister's idea, we used to go there on holidays when we were kids. I haven't seen my sister for 2 years (she lives abroad and has come to Poland for 3 weeks), such an unique opportunity to spend some great time together, those mountains are just 450 km from Warsaw, but it's a different world..And one day, while hiking, I suddenly thought about that song..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_bTcWq7ggM

This is one of those rare David Cassidy's songs which has taken me some time (truly speaking a lot of ) to really appreciate it. I never didn't  really like The Beatles'  original, never thought about the lyrics, the meaning of it. It was written and performed (also music) by Paul McCartney, and yes, I liked it, but nothing more, one of the songs from the great 'White Album'. It's only during that holiday that I've rediscovered it, that amazing, very personal and moving David's cover.

Paul McCartney's explained the meaning of that song many times; that he heard a blackbird in India, or that his song was a response to racial tensions in the US in 1968. But I like what Ian MacDonald wrote about 'Blackbird', that it was  - 'a metaphor for awakening on a deeper level'. As I hear it, in David's interpretation, this is a song about constant recovering..His 'Blackbird' is slower, more serious..even sad, like he doesn't believe himself that recovering is possible. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but that what I've been thinking about, that song and David Cassidy, one morning, somewhere on the Polish-Slovak border..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB0-1Yt_aQk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'