The Partridge Family Sound Magazine Part 1

 I'm on a mission, I love this album, it was released 50 years ago and I'm going to write everything I know about it.  

The best Partridge Family album,  their 'Sgt Pepper'. This album has no weak points. This is one of the best pop albums from the 70s. Amazing recordings, the music still so exciting and fresh, and David Cassidy voice..he could sing, outstanding performance. And it was the first album where his vocal's was recorded at regular speed.

 Let's start with that masterpiece, the song written by David Cassidy with Wes Farrell's help. Love Is All That I Ever Needed' .The person who made that really fantastic video wrote :

'David Cassidy could sing the nice and cool pop, but then to hear him on a groove like this song, you have to respect the fact that he could do wonders with any sort of material (in this case soul).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGrdlR1fKr4

The album was released half a century ago, in August 1971. I can't believe it. 50 years..On Bell Records, produced by Wes Farrell. The first PF album featuring Brian Forster on album cover. No 9 on Billboard chart on September25th, 1971 (35 weeks on chart). The single from that album, I Woke Up In Love This Morning, number 13, also on Sep25th (11 weeks on chart). This song stands the test of time and David voice..this is everyting in it - excitement, surprise, joy, longing, love..Another comment:

'I use to sell lemonade on my street, while my mom played this on my record-player on my front porch. All the kids would come down to hear David, and I made lots of lemonade money. Thank you Partridge.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0blSibcro8

Only 32,5 minutes, 11 songs. 1971 was very difficult for David, also for personal reasons, but first of all he was working non stop. I've checked the recording dates and his concerts'.

Recording dates - May 4, 5, 11, 13 ; June 7  concerts - May 14, 15, 16 , June 5, 6. True legends played with David Cassidy on that record - Dennis Budimir, Louie Shelton, Max Bennett, Mike Melvoin, Larry Knechtel, Hal Blaine and John Bahler, Tom Bahler, Jackie Ward and Ron Hicklin. 

They also recorded a song called 'I'll Be Your Magician', but it had really risky lyrics, and was never released. It's disgusting that Danny Bonaduce was told to record it for his really awful solo album in 1973. The other leftover was 'Warm My Soul'.

'Sound Magazine  sold an untold number of copies, and deservedly so, but who knows if the kiddies really could appreciate what they were listening to as a lot of the music contained was very adult' (tapeheads.net, 2015)

 'One Night Stand'. Is really incredible how it was sung and interpreted by David, great lyrics, fantastic music..another timeless song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erq5IVzGEqE

So powerful , from start to finish..

to be continued..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'