The World of The Partridge Family

 

 Such an album was released in 1974, but this post is not about music. It's about how the world has changed ( or maybe not ) during those 50 years. But let's start with a song..The Partridge Family singing in their garage..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miD6zZwRPVs

This is amazing, how the 70's fashion is in vogue again.They could have gone dressed like that into the street and David..he would have looked sensational..

I'm spending this summer with The Partridge Family, taking screen shots for the DC website. It's a very pleasant job and while doing it I'm thinking about the differences between the 70's and the world we live now. (I'm not thinking about Covid)

Of course The Partridge Family was a family sitcom, a comedy, it wasn't realistic, had not a lot in common with real life. Keith never returned home late, drunk..or Danny never was caught with a cigarette..they never quarrelled with Shirley, no slamming of the door, no tears or real pain..but they did a lot of things I also remember doing them. Like :

1.Eatings meals together. That's the way it was in the 70s. Mother was cooking and we had a dinner together ( a Sunday dinner was always special) and we talked about what happened during the day..When I had my own family , we had our own  Sunday breakfast, my daughters prepared  it, and later  we ate and talked..I wonder how is it now..ready meals at not regular hours.

.A happy family singing together..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er3mY-lWdlA

2. Board games. That's something what we did in the 70s. Checkers, chess (I've never learnt), and Go (it was very difficult ),. We didn't have Monopoly or Scrabble in the 70s in Poland. I played those games  later with my kids. And we also played a lot of card games, and in the 80s I played bridge very often.

3. Women's liberation. I never heard about it in the 70s. Poland was a communist country and women could do everything. They performed male professions and no one was surprised. In Poland women had a right to vote since 1918...But equality in sports..Recently my father has learned (watching Olimpics) that women do boxing. He couldn't believe when I told him that boxing wasn't everything..Wrestling, football..weightlifting..'But..what for??' he asked me..

3. Telephone !!! It has changed ..amazingly. Our life became completely different because of cell phones. In the 70s, in Poland, only a few had telephones at home. My boy friend had, and I didn't. And I lived in a huge block of flats, I think about 800 people lived in it, and there was only ONE public telephone. Can you imagine those lines? Very nervous. And very often that telephone was out of order..That was hard..

4. Letters..Keith received a lot of love letters..Who is writing them now.?

David Cassidy wrote a song about a letter he'd got one day..He received 25 000 or even more letters a week in the early 70s..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxhRzr7_O78&t=154s

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeshlabotnik/5935464562/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'