David and Shaun. Part 1.

 Shaun Cassidy had a birthday 2 days ago, he is 63 now, and on September 27th  during my early morning walk by the sea, I was thinking a little bit about those two brothers and their careers..

Shaun Cassidy..it can be hard for DC fans, but I think that in the 70s Shaun was more known worldwide and now he is more remembered  than his older brother, David. Yes, I know they were half brothers.

Shaun was ..huge, very, very popular, even in my part of the world, behind the Iron Curtain. This is his debut single, 'Morning Girl' from 1976, poor Jack Cassidy witnessed  another member of his family becoming very famous . Because it was obvious that Shaun was going to be a next teen idol. I remember 'Bravo' from 1976 and 1977 - mostly Bay City Rollers and Shaun ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVN_xQw3jc

His first solo album called 'Shaun Cassidy', released also in 1976, next year it became multi-platinum, and he had a number 1 single in the U.S. with 'Da Doo Ran Ran', it was a worldwide, huge hit. He also got a  nomination for the Grammy Award for Best New Artist..Here is Shaun singing live at Grammy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmk3ozf3RJg

'That's Rock'n'Roll' a song penned by Eric Carmen, David knew Eric too..Shaun was really huge, even now when I'm asked about my blog, sometimes the first reaction is 'Oh yes, Shaun ! I remember ! He was such a sexy boy! What fun!', they even remembered his biggest hit..I never liked that song, never liked Shaun's image..but I really respect him, the way he managed to find his own way, to have a career on his own terms, and I admire that he is a family man, and also that he had such a strong  bond  with his older brother, David..

And it wasn't easy for both of them. At the beginning very difficult, very hard for DC. He was 8 years old when Shaun was born. Still lived in New Jersey with his grandparents, his mum was absent very often. Not only his father abandoned him and his mum, but Jack also moved to Los Angeles and had another wife, younger than Evelyn , very beautiful and glamorous..Shirley Jones was a movie star, she and Jack lived in a big house in sunny California, and  in September 1958 David's father had another  child. A very beautiful baby boy..Another son..

David Cassidy asked Tony Romeo for an autobiographical song for his first solo album (first without Wes Farrell)..He got 'Sing Me'. He wasn't a boy, he was 23, but when he was listening to the demo for the first time.. he  cried..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpi27BrpuFY 

Comments

  1. Can you cry listening to "Sing me" at 64? If I'm doing it. I have the first three David records on cassette tapes since 1973. I have never studied English, and without knowing the lyrics of this song, I felt that there was a lot of feeling inside David, a lot of love and sometimes anger. I liked David as a teenage idol, but now that I know more about his life and can translate his songs, I admire him much more.
    Good that you are back 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you comment again..I think it's bc DC was a great singer, a great artist. His songs, it's like with any others works of art. Sometimes at the museum there is a picture which draws our attention, moves us, even when we have no idea who the painter is. Of course everyone has different sensitivity. I've had tears in my eyes watching Vermeer's paintings in Amsterdam, I can cry just seeing a beautiful view, or listening to DC's 'My First Night Alone..'The lyrics of his songs, and not only his own (written by DC) are very important, bc he was a great interpreter, yes knowing more about his life (facts and not image) makes me admire him more too..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'