Some Old Woman / Shel Silverstein, Bob Gibson

 

I have wanted to write about some recent David Cassidy's tribute videos. A lot of new ones have been published recently, and at last I've found some time to watch them. I really appreciate and wait for every  DC tribute video. I've made 2 or 3 myself and that wasn't easy, believe me. To choose and edit pics, and songs, but first of all to have an interesting idea for a video. We fans know all songs and all pics..we have seen everything..

So yesterday I started watching and the first one was..BINGO!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9OxgDvfDCE

Wow! Made by Daydreamer DC FAN. What a great idea ! David's posters on a bus stop, there was time his posters were everywhere..And the song. A different than the others on Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes, not fitting at first glance (listening). Brillantly played - Ron Tutt, Emory Gordy, Michael Omartian , this song is such a gem, and of course it's very well sung by David . The way he sings it..the song sounds like sth not from the 70s..Sure he chose it because of the lyrics, but I wanted to know more about that song. And I was stuck all evening.

I've never heard about Shel Silverstein or Bob Gibson and their friendsip and collaboration , they wrote together about 200 songs. There is no place here to write about them, so let me only tell you that Bob Gibson was a very important folk singer (and a victim of alcohol and drugs) and Shel Silverstain was a real Renaissance man, and among many others he wrote lyrics for a famous Johnny Cash song called  'A Boy Named Sue'.

 'Some Old Woman', with a little different and longer lyrics appeared on Bob Gibson's album in 1964. I couldn't find an original anywhere, but yesterday I listened to some of his songs and he was an outstanding singer and performer..this is a link to the song called ...'Middle Aged Groupies'..very enjoyable to listen to and will give you an idea how the original (Some Old Woman) could sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9pTX2QxZi8

Shame that I've never heard about him.

Daydreamer DC FAN 2 days ago published on YT another really outstanding and beautiful tribute video , everything in it is perfect - sound, pics and the song - Night And Day..Thank you Daydreamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfkH3wgA7g

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75001512@N00/5561249683

Comments

  1. https://www.bobgibsonfolk.com/song-some-old-woman-tellin-all-those-lies/
    Here you can hear it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Encarni thank you soooo much,what a great page, and the Bob Gibson's original is outstanding, I've fallen in love with that guy, but also I appreciate even more DC's courage to make his own version of it
    . David was amazing, brilliant interpreter. Thank you again my friend, you've made my day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'