'Talent Survives..

 ... but the people may not' said David Cassidy in 2000. Of course 'talent will survive' that was what Jack told his oldest son when he became a teen idol. He was worried about him, about David's future. DC wrote and said a lot about his father. He was the most important figure in his life..

"He (Jack) never said I was worthless, but his resentment would come out in these little mean ways. Then when TPF came along, he said in an interview that I got lucky with my success and that just broke my heart.'..

I will not try to write about them, we know only DC's side of the story, and I can imagine that their relationship could have been very difficult even if Jack hadn't divorced Evelyn Ward..Two actors, two great egos, two ...they were very alike.. This  is a full interview between David and his father from Merv Griffin Show aired more than 50 years ago on August 23, 1971

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1kv1FQMJVU&t=466s

Amazing conversation, sure difficult for David, and ..his 'Danny Boy'..magic.

I don't want to write about DC private life, his father interests me only because without him David would have been quite a different singer and performer. DC said in 2015 : 'Songs My Father Taught Me. It's something I always wanted to do, because my father had a such huge influence on me. He taught me a lot about Cole Porter, Gershwin, Rogers and Hammerstein and all these great composers'. I think that without that influence David would have never sung 'If I Didn't Care', 'Bali Ha'i' or 'As Time Goes By' in the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhIl93zAuJU

Aired on November 27, 1977, nearly a year after Jack died.

And recently I've seen quite a lot of Jack Cassidy's videos on YT. He was really an outstanding actor, we all know his Columbo's appearances, they are legendary tv performances, real classic, I've watched those episodes many times. And he was great on a Clint Eastwood film called  The Eiger Sanction from 1975.. It's difficult to imagine such a film now, but Jack was brilliant..And not only David's father appeared in a film directed by Clint Eastwood. In 1973 Kay Lenz had a great success in 'Breezy'..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qgxW3iIjjE

Jack Cassidy had 76 credits, mostly tv roles, like his son he appeared also on Bonanza and Mod Squad, but later than David, in 1971.

 Jack Cassidy a singer, a Broadway star..So professional, sure of himself, charming, a real master of his craft, talent and a lot of hard work..Here he is singing a title song from a musical for he got Tony and Grammy awards, 'She Loves Me'. This video is from 1975..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v01BSv9B_vI

And with Julie Andrews and Ken Berry in 1972..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuS1ma4N1-0

He was a multitalented man. And when he wanted very charming and with a great sense of humor. He was a real tv celebrity and took part in many tv programmes, also quiz shows, among them he appeared 6 times on 'Password', and it's really fascinating  watching him on it..We can see how handsome, elegant and smart Jack was, but also how competitive ..and I wouldn't have liked to be in his team..no way..poor David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcmAg5t9OL0


Nate Cutler [1], Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'