What's Wrong In Being A Teen Idol ?

I like reading fans' comments. On social media or YT, you can learn a lot that way. New info, and it's very educational to know what fans think. What they know and what they don't know.

Of course David Cassidy still generates a lot of emotions, a lot of fans have strong own views and opinions and nothing will change their mind. I understand it of course, I have strong opinions myself. And, in general nothing ever surprises me..I can't say that this question 'What's wrong in being a teen idol' is  controversial, not at all, but it was written as a comment to DC's interview during which he said..'Call me bad, call me lousy, but don't call me a former teen idol'..

And today I've spent a lot of time in my car and while driving I've been thinking how I would answer that question. DC himself said in that interwiew, why he didn't like to be called a former teen idol : 'I always back away from labels, as I think it inhibits your creativity and your opportunities.' So true,  he told that in 1998..So maybe one song from the album he released that year..'Let Her Go'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJaQXNFaJI8

Of course there are some  happy former  teen idols, for whom that time of their lives means fun and an interesting experience, no regrets. We don't have to look far to find such..Shaun Cassidy. Only 18 when Jack died in a fire, already a teen idol at the time, a married man (with a step - daughter) and a has been at the age of 21. It wasn't easy for him. And it's amazing how he reinvented himself. He created and/or produced a lot of  known tv series. Currently he writes and is one of the producers for NBC's 'New Amsterdam'. He is a wonderful father of 8 children ( from 3 marriages)..

Shaun learnt from DC's career..And for David being a teen idol  was always a heavy burden..a shadow.  'I knew I was a joke for many people'. He was absolutely unprepared for that experience, for that hysteria, for that big money, for that manipulated, fake image, for the amount of work and stress and responsibility. It's really unusual to have a gall bladder operation at the age of 21. He said in 1972 - 'I don't even know what the real David Cassidy is like' He resigned himself, but he paid an enormous price for it. I'm sure he would have been much happier without that teen idol thing..

 ' I was a big star, yet I kind of felt dwarfed ' ( November, 1978)

It's really not so difficult to imagine why being a teen idol could be not easy..Or even worse. In that video David and Shaun talk about that experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RruJ8w5uw


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'