The Fig Leaves Are Falling. Part 2

David Cassidy's Broadway debut.

I can imagine how happy and thrilled he was. And proud. Jack debuted on Broadway when he was 15, but for many years he was just a chorus member, he had his first real role in 1952 (in  'South Pacific') when he was 25. David's character wasn't very important, but how happy he must have been. I think (I don't know of course) also because he became a part of a team. I've read many times that DC was always so professional, that  from the start was a serious actor who worked with and for his co-stars. He never was a prima donna..

Everything looked just great and exciting. The stage, Broadhurst Theatre, one of the oldest on Broadway, opened in 1917 with a capacity of 1186. located at 44th Street. I can imagine DC's excitement after those difficult months, it was a moment of sheer happiness when he got that role of Billy. " I telephoned my employers and declared I'd never be going back to that hated job (..) Keep my cheque, I told them. What did I need with a cheque for $38,80? I was being offered $175 a week - a veritable fortune..'( David Cassidy:Could It Be Forever?, 2007)

A short break..a song from another musical, but I love it soo much and if there is an opportunity to post that link again..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uA1TIKWAw

But let's return to November 1968 when the rehearsals started. The cast was impressive. First of all Dorothy Loudon, and despite The Fig Leaves's flop and only 4 performances she got Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Performance for it and was nominated for Tony..Amazing. Barry Nelson, very popular stage, film and tv actor was her husband. He met  David again in 1978, playing one of the villans in Man Undercover.

But from the start there were problems. When the first director Jack Klugman left, the legendary George Abbott was hired, some actors resigned during previews..all the time there were changes, some songs and characters disappeared and new appeared..It was a mess from the start. Clive Barnes wrote in his review for The New York Times : 'There is nothing much wrong..that a new book, new lyrics, new settings, new direction, new choreography and a partially new cast would not quite possibly put right..'

Ellie G. made a wonderful video, with David pics from that production and we can hear him in that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0CSJ1OKMS8

So it was a bitter disappointment, but as it happens in life, one thing leads to another and every cloud has a silver lining. While they were doing previews in Philadelphia for Fig Leaves..a casting director from CBS had spotted David. He wanted him to screen-test for a movie..

nypl.digitalcollections.510d47e4-7411-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99.001.r

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'