It's One Of Those Nights / Tony Romeo

It's one of those songs when you listen to it and think..this is such a gem, a masterpiece. Released in December 1971, the single from 'Shopping Bag' ( side B 'One Night Stand' ), in January 1972, 50 years ago, number 2 on the Adult Contemporary Chart and on Jan 22 peaked at number 20 on The Billboard Hot 100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBc549rcF4

Why only number 20 ?? I love reading those old charts. So Billboard Hot 100, Jan 22 - number 1 'American Pie', D. McLean..7. 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing', The New Seekers...16. Hey Girl, D.Osmond...20 TPF....21. Without You, Nilsson......24. 'Cherish' David Cassidy......27. Black Dog, Led Zeppelin....Interesting..

This is one of those  songs very difficult to cover. It only looks simple, I mean there are a lot of awful amator covers of it on YT, but not many made by professional musicians. Because this song was created in the perfect time and place, wonderful music and lyrics wrote by that genius Tony Romeo, arranged by another genius Mike Melvoin, and first of all sung by 21 year old David. One of those bitter-sweet songs..And I hate writing about DC personal life, but at the time he was in love and he had a broken heart..We can hear his love and his pain. So once again, the full album version, so moving and powerful..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqk9u0M36YQ

Some days ago I wrote about buying a record player. Now I'm a proud owner of this beauty. It looks like from the 70s (also the sound is ..interesting). So far I have only 2 DC albums, but my English friends have started visiting local charity shops..

One more thing, at last I've sent my letter to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And I'm really glad.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'