Never Say Never About Nothing..

said David Cassidy before performing that song in 1991..'not exactly my personal favourite..'.also mine,  but this version is brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8_OKtzPHDM

'I need somebody to help me find my way..' . Written by Mike Appel, Jim Cretecos and of course Wes Farrell. And David was right, yes, it was # 6 on Billboard Hot 100 on March 27, 1971, but number 1 on U.S. Cash Box Top 100. Another gold single for TPF. On the side B was Tony Romeo's masterpiece. Since I've heard John Gomolka's version with the real DC's voice I can't  listen to the old one

http://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/DiscographyPages/You%20Are%20Always%20On%20My%20Mind_JohnGomolkaVersion.mp3

But let's return to 'Doesn't Sb Want To Be Wanted'. It was a hit not only in the USA, but also number 1 in Canada, # 6 in France (yes!) and #9 in Australia. The first single from the second TPF album 'Up To Date' released in February 1971. Some of the tracks were left overs from those  May sessions for the first record. And that particular song was recorded on November 12, 1970.

Of course we heard that story many times, the first  and the most famous  conflict between the producer and his singer. In November everybody knew that  David would be the next teen idol. ITILY was on the brink to become number 1 in the USA. The 7th episode of TPF was just aired..But David was still only a young actor who got 600 dollars a week for playing Keith Partridge. He had nothing to say in the studio..

Another great concert version of 'Doesn't Somebody..' this time with the younger Partridge brother playing bass for real .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU6YAV2IZNQ

And yesterday while removing some unnecessary data from my phone, I found a forgotten link with a very interesting and very long article on TPF. This is a segment from The Lost 45s with Barry Scott. Anyway it was posted on April 30 last year and it's a great read. It also includes some interviews with DC, and he told quite a lot about 'Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted ' recording session. 

'For me singing what people coined 'bubblegum' teenage stuff was a hard pill to swallow. (..) Probably the thing they had to twist my arm the hardest to do was 'Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted'.  If you listen to the vocal, whch is one of the worst vocal performances in the history of recording, in my opinion - it was with such restrain and they had me to do that little talking bit in the middle, which is the most embarrasing moment in my entire career. I really didn't like the song.(..) My argument was, let's introduce something a little different. There was no focus on tomorrow or the future. It was like 'Let's cash in now.'

"I felt quite manipulated at the time. I was naive and I was young and I did basically what they asked me to do..'

https://www.lost45.com/2021/04/30/chapter-20-the-partridge-family/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'