David Cassidy In London. 1972. Part 1.

There are some photographs on my desk. The members of my family, those pics are changed very often by me, and there is also one pic which  is always there, and sometimes I look at it, especially while writing my blog. It's not an original pic of course, and  it's not  very good quality, a little bit blurry, and maybe frames should be different.. but I like it that way. It was made half a century ago. When David Cassidy came to London for the very first time. In February 1972. On that pic he is looking straight at the camera like he wanted to say : ' Hey people are you not fed up with those pictures??'

David in London in February 1972, the beginning of that never ending love affair DC had with his UK fans.

At the end of 1971 DC was very tired, because of constant working, and unhappy (Meredith B.), and he also wanted some privacy, so decided on holiday in Europe. People there didn't know The Partridge Family and his face. It was 3 weeks of real and much needed freedom, with only one unpleasant adventure, when in Rome his car was broken into. He lost his money, a camera and his passport, and had to wait for the new documents. But the rest of the holiday was perfect. He hired a red Volkswagen travelling van and  had a sleeping bag and a mini stove. He just wanted to be free and independent. 

When David received his new documents he drove to Florence, picked up an old girl friend who lived there ( I read somewhere her name was Laura), and together they went to the Alps. He met new friends, learned to ski and liked it very much. After the Alps, he drove the girl home and went all by himself across  Italy and into France. Sometimes he slept in the van, sometimes in cheap motels. 

David Cassidy : 'I could travel like a normal guy. It turned out to be  a great experience for me. I read a lot, meditated a lot. I stayed at little inns. No one knew me anywhere. I love to be alone. I thoroughly enjoy my own company. It was just great. I recharged my batteries.' (David Cassidy : Could It Be Forever?, 2007).

When he arrived in Chamonix, again there was more skiing and it was there where he bought shaggy sheepskin boots so known from his London's pics..But the time came for return to work..'I was to head to England, where the show had been airing and our first Partridge Family album was just released. (..) The radio and newspapers had mentioned I was coming and the record people thought it conceivable that a hundred or so fans might turn out at the airport..' (DC:Could It Be Forever?, 2007)

A hundred..That story is a ready film script and last year while waiting for my plane I had to kill a few hours so..(I really don't know why) I wrote a short story about that flight half a century ago..I'm afraid it's not very good, but I was so happy while writing it that  nearly missed my plane..

https://talkingaboutdavid.blogspot.com/2021/06/a-flight-to-london-andweather-with-you.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'