David Cassidy Live. Albert Hall 1985. A Review.

I always remember what one fellow fan has told me : 'Do you know Weronika where does the word 'fan' come from?' Yes, I know. A fanatic. And it was during the discussion about 'I Write The Songs' and Barry Manilow's version..Of course it's not easy to be objective when you are a fan, but it was a very valuable lesson, and no offence taken. And I read everything about DC and  always  try to have my own opinions.

David Cassidy was an amazing live performer, and even those who didn't like him, his style, his image, they had to admit it. 

Chris Welch, very known English music critic wrote in 1973 (for Melody Maker) ;' he is a professional entertainer, happy in his work, and possessed  of a wealthy degree of talent. A rather disappointing verdict for those who came to mock, but Cassidy is a lot better than many a teen idol who troded the boards of the Empire Pool before him. He showed he had real vocal ability and an understanding of the art of rock that communicated, even through the screams..'.

Ray Fox-Cumming (the same concert) ; 'David feeds off audience reaction and the more he got the more he gave'.

'Washington Post' in 1971 : 'he has a good voice, work very hard'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EqEYCEUAEM

So, that's how it was in the 70s. Excitement and a very talented and sincere artist, who knew what was expected from him, but also  tried to educate his audience and played not only hits, but also the music he liked and enjoyed playing himself.

And when he returned in 1985..Of course I never saw DC live, I've only read a lot of fans' memories. My very good  English friend  saw DC 3 times in 1985, but when asked what she really thought about the music he'd performed, she said  that she had been so overhelmed seeing him.. and also  disappointed that he'd avoided eye contact (she had very good place at the first concert). It wasn't an answer I expected. But of course I saw DC's Albert Hall concert many times on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlGYAqLikok

And yes it was very exciting, the fans were so happy, old hits and new songs from 'Romance' album. He wasn't a boy any more, looked sensational and sexy, I loved DC's mature voice, his stage presence, his professionalism, but..he looked so different, not because of blond hair..In the 70s he wanted to play rock..It was so difficult to say what I meant.. I only always knew that I preferred the 90's concerts..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3BTq_UIDig

And I've just received a  review from 1985 (people send me interesting info). Wrote by someone called Angela Thomas, for Stage magazine. She wrote how she admired David that he'd had a nerve to return  and that he was successful again. That his voice matured beautifully and his performance was very competent, and  'for the fans it was as if he had never been away (..) and in their eyes he could do no wrong.'.

However -'seeing him on this tour it's difficult to shake the feeling that he's still being treated like just another product that's been repacking and reshaped to suit today's audiences..' and 'instead of developing into the kind of performer who could do justice to his highly listenable voice, he seems to have stopped somewhere in the middle. A performance that was competent but seemed empty..'(..) And occasionally there was a glimpse of the kind of performer he could be, without all the Las Vegas falseness..'..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'