I'm Here You're Here/ Wes Farrell, Gerry Goffin

A masterpiece..Not only the song but also the way that music scene was filmed, and I remember watching it for the first time, I don't think I heard the song.. I just couldn't believe that someone could look like David..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GvLCj4sCfU

But what for they filmed the kids and Shirley..? Amazing.

The song, we can call it 'a noir ballad', from The Partridge Family second album, 'UpTo Date', released on Bell, on February 12, 1971. Peaked on Billboard 200 at #3 in April 1971 (53 weeks on chart). Great hits - 'I'll Meet You Halfway', 'Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted', 'You Are Always On My Mind', 'Morning Rider On the Road', truly speaking all songs on that album are great. 

Recording dates - May16 and November 12 and 13, 1970. Some of the tracks used on this album were left overs from that profilic sessions for the first record. David's vocal is truly outstanding, even that we know that his voice was altered, amazing when you think how young and unexperienced singer he was, just 20 years old.

Let's forget how he looked and listen to the song, the version  altered by John Gomolka to reflect David Cassidy's true voice

http://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/DiscographyPages/I'm%20Here%20You're%20Here_JohnGomolkaVersion.mp3

Really breathtaking performance. And those amazing musicians who recorded that song with him - Dennis Budimir, Louie Shelton, Joe Osborn, Hal Blaine, John and Tom Bahler, Jackie Ward, Ron Hicklin, Shirley Jones and...Mike Melvoin. And truly speaking I'm writing today's blog to remember Mike Melvoin who died 10 years ago, on February 22, 2012, at the age of 74.

Mike Melvoin, an outstanding jazz pianist, a composer and arranger, great session musician, he performed on The Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds', Frank Sinatra's 'That's Life', The Jackson 5's 'ABC', John Lennon's 'Stand By Me'..to name a few, and he was a music director on The Partridge Family. David Cassidy : ' Mike Melvoin was a big influence on TPF sessions. He played on 90 % of the material that we recorded. He created and played the piano lick on I'll Meet You Halfway. He arranged the rhythm sections with Wes. Wes was valuable, but Mike was a real arranger..'. 

He was also David's friend, a very charming and interesting man, and I can't resist showing you that video, Mike Melvoin and his  life partner, wonderful actress Theresa Russell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1TmOqCagUw

And one more masterpiece, written by Tony Romeo, arranged ( and played) by Mike Melvoin and sung by David Cassidy..They are not with us..but  on a sunny morning I always sing to myself..'I feel the sunlight on my face..'.

Thank you for the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtAv3gY8iLo



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'