I'm A Man / Jimmy Miller, Steve Winwood

A blog about..some drummers and 2 no existing films, just don't know where to start. Maybe with the song which has been on my mind recently

First the original, co-wrote and sang by that music genius, at the time 19 year old Steve Winwood, a boy from Birmingham..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLaPO79hrM0

Amazing. The music and the lyrics.. A very known and important track, in 1967 number 9 in the UK and #10 in the USA. Co-writer, Jimmy Miller, was a famous American producer and a very talented drummer himself (he played on Rolling Stones albums too). 

And of course we know that David played drums very well, so let's listen to his outstanding version of that song. It was performed live (not only there) on March 11, 1973 in Rotterdam, and I can see that I actually  once wrote a comment (with this video) 2 years ago -'Only for this he should be in Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame'. Because his version was performed with such a power. It's a great rock number. Fantastic performance, DC and his band, his backing girls..During the concert it was played after I Am a Clown and after it was Cherish (we have a set list and an audio). I wonder what his teenage audience  thought about it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgRHI_TDkM0

and here is much better quality recording of that concert (with I'm A Man)

http://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/ConcertPages/1973March11_LiveInConcert.mp3

The reason I've had this song on my mind (and DC's drum playing) is an article I read 2 days ago. About a famous English drummer, Keith Moon, who died in 1978. There is of course a known pic with Keith and David..but this article is not about DC, but upcoming movie about Keith Moon which is finally moving ahead with plans in place to shoot in Britain this summer. It's an old project, Roger Daltrey wanted to make it for years. He is an executive producer (with Pete Townshend). The film is directed by Paul Whittington (The Crown), and the script written by Jeff Pope ( Oscar-nominated for 'Philomena')

What to say..Why David doesn't have such friends..

PS. One more drummer. A legendary one. His drumming is featured on 150 US Top 10 hits, 40 of which went to number 1 (including I Think I Love You). Hal Blaine, who played on all TPF's albums. He was born on February 5th, 1929. Died March 11, 2019. He liked David very much and appreciated his talent, took part in 'Last Session' , and I've read once that he singed a petition to induct David  Cassidy in RRHOF.

 From 'Sound Magazine', with great Hal Blaine on drums..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGrdlR1fKr4


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'