'Could It Be Forever?'. The Book

David Cassidy's second autobiography was published 15 years ago, in March 2007. Let's first listen to that great David's hit, wrote by Wes Farrell and Danny Janssen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dc-TiIzaGY

An early 70s perfect smash, wonderful song, just less than 3 minutes, but sure one of the most memorable songs from that era. Wes knew his job.

David's autobiographies. Sex, drugs and rock&roll. There are some fans who are still afraid to read them. They prefer to remember DC as  someone who still brings only light, love, smile and laughter etc..There are fans who write a lot about respect for the DC's memory and legacy, you know what I mean. And I understand this, but on the other hand I hate censorship and I think DC wouldn't have liked to see himself still worshipped as that white knight, or a  guardian angel etc. He fought with that image  his whole life. And writing those books was his decision. He wanted us to know how it really was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJgpQ64L3Y

I wrote my book about David in 2018, without reading his autobiographies. It was my very conscious decision. I wanted to write about everything he'd done,  based on facts, press atricles and videos only. Without judging and as little as possible about private life. And I was very happy when I read at last the book, 'Could It Be Forever?', how what I wrote agreed with what DC'd written. How well I assessed the significance of some events. And I can tell you that in some places DC messed some data, but it's not very important of course, and yes there is a little bit of PR, but not too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iBQnhmvsfI

I'm a former book-seller and librarian and I've read thousands of biographies in my life. And DC's  books are just great. We can see the real man behind those stories, we can learn a lot about pop culture, media market and music market in the first half of the 70s. We can see how the world has changed during those 50 years. Priceless memories of someone who used the fame, but was also ruthlessly used and treated like a money-making machine. David wrote those books with the help of Chip Deffaa, but of course he was the one who decided what should be included.

It's so happened that I read the second first. I knew that it was DC's first autobiography, without some the most controversial parts + what happened in his life after 1994. And the very important part of 'Could It Be Forever?' book are other people memories and reflections. The members of his family, his friends, people he worked with, people who watched his career and his ups and downs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SK7YEfNcHw

So I read it for one night, loved the first 3/4 of the book and felt that something was missing, and it was like 2 different men were writing, that first, younger one was much more sincere, wasn't afraid to show himself with his flaws. About 2 years ago I read at last DC's first book , "C'mon, Get Happy. Fear and Loathing on The Partridge Family Bus'. When it was published, in 1994, DC hardly ever came out of television, it was a real bestseller. And I loved it much better than the second book. Wow..it needed courage to write it, and I don't mean (or not only) sex, but to write without thinking what people would say..Of course there is one fragment David regretted to the end of his days. I can't understand or explain why he wrote it..But as we can hear a few times on TPF set ..'those showbiz people..'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SK7YEfNcHw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'