Empire Pool. March 16,17,18, 1973

The Empire Pool, built in 1934 ..yes, originally housed a swimming pool. In 1978 the Empire Pool was renamed Wembley Arena. Currently is known as OVO Arena Wembley. It's an INDOOR arena adjacent to Wembley Stadium in London. 10 000 seat in the 70s (now 12k). Everybody performed there, The Beatles 4 times, some very memorable concerts, and David Cassidy set notable attendance record during one weekend in March 1973. He sold out a record 6 shows in 3 days. 60 000 fans.

It was a kind of a generational experience, everybody knew that they witnessed something special, a lot of articles, a documentary 'Weekend At Wembley', and so many times I read fans memories, each starting with such a statement :'I saw David at Wembley in 1973..'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep42l7CacCY

Of course, I've written about it many times, what can I add except my disbelief that it was 49 years ago.Two my very close friends saw DC at Wembley in 1973, and we talk about it from time to time, and I always learn something new, some details. 

Doreen : '..the tickets had to be applied for by an application form (..) the form asked which day you wanted which tickets, plus address and had to send a cheque or a postal order, then sent it to Empire Pool, Wembley with a stamped adressed envelope to send the tickets for you. (..) Originally David was going to do 3 concerts, they had so many applications they added 3 more and there were still lots of fans that missed out on tickets (..) I couldn't sleep the night before, I was just so excited  about seeing David and my brother took great fun in teasing me about going to the concert, but also knew what it meant to me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNax84vq67M

Ray Fox-Cumming: 'The stage was bare at the front, the band being kept well back, and the backdrops were plain black. The lighting was also totally devoid of all gimmicks. Everything was down to Cassidy himself. David Hamilton all bounce and dash in a blue denim ensemble, had a job introducing the star. He did it well. 'Give me a D!!'(..) And then there he was, the little guy all the fuss was about, bounding up to the front of the stage, encased in a black spangled skin tight outfit...'

And my friend, Claudette : 'I heard about his concerts at the Empire Pool, 1973, wanted to go so much, at first my mum said she would go with me (..) at last my friend Georginia went instead my mother. My father took my friend and I to the 4.00 concert, March 17, 1973. I was so excited. I couldn't believe I was there. I remember David wearing his black jumpsuit, the way he moved around the stage with so much energy, it was incredible. I was near enough to the front to see him. Just amazing to be there..'

A tribute to David Cassidy was placed at Wembley Arena, you can read about it here:

http://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/FansPages/InMemoriam_Wembley.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'