Meryl Tanz. Part 1. Carol Kaplan's Podcast

 

We were very excited (me and my English friends), when in December 2019 we heard about the upcoming podcast. I think at the time I had no idea what a podcast was. There was quite a lot of publicity, and we liked the logo, Carol Kaplan's pic, and first of all the title of the podcast..'My Life with David Cassidy'. We were intrigued and listened to all conversations. With Elliot Mintz, Ann Moses and Chip Deffaa. But it was the end of the first season, and now, at last, Carol  is back.

(c)

If I had to compare Carol's podcast with Louise Poynton's wonderful 'The David Cassidy Connections', I'd say Louise Poynton is more interested in David's place in the music history, in the pop culture history, in his legacy, and Carol is more interested in what David was like. Of course it's difficult to compare them, first of all because Louise Poynton started her podcast in August 2020 and she interviewed so many people..it's just my impression

So Meryl Tanz..Let's first listen to a song. The song DC recorded when he was married to Meryl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6u_33t4NUM

Meryl Tanz..Of course we know what DC wrote about her in his autobiography, and when I was writing my book about DC 4 years ago, I think I read everything what had been ever printed about her, but today I've tried just to listen without any prejudices, and I've been very curious what a woman who once knew DC very well, what she has to say about him. And I'm not disappointed. I liked the way she talked, like she was thinking about each sentence.

She said  'there were many Davids to many people'..so true, and also some things I didn't know, e.g. that David in the 70s phoned her from time to time and asked about the horse he'd sold her in 1974..it was very moving when she said that 'he didn't realize how beautiful he was.'...the day when they met again in the fall of 1981, and how he asked her to dance and 'started singing what the band was playing'. There were a few sentences that stuck in my memory, something what DC said : 'I'm tired of recording' or  that one, maybe the most important ; 'I don't care what they think. I'm gonna live my life the way I want to'..

We've discussed today that conversation on our whatsapp group, and my friend B. said - 'And maybe he just wanted to stay on the farm with those horses and never leave..Maybe he didn't enjoy showbiz at all and needed all that money for his horses?' Maybe..Now we are waiting for Part 2..

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/my-life-with-david-cassidy/id1492837895

All quotes are from 'My Life With David Cassidy' podcast hosted and produced by Carol Kaplan



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'