White City..

It was very hot when  I met with my friend Doreen in London on Tuesday. Just difficult to walk, to stay outdoors. And she said: ' You know there was the same kind of weather 48 years ago, when David played his White City concert.' ..'But that's explain a lot. So many of the girls had been waiting for that concert a whole night, without water or anything to drink, they didn't want to lose their place in the line..' 

48 years ago in May 1974, David Cassidy played his last concerts in the 70s. 24th in Glasgow, 26th (it was Sunday), London, and 28th in Manchester. 

A very raw recording from the White City concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS8XYedQjJ8

And it's happened that there are a lot of articles from May 1974 among those I've brought from the UK. B. wasn't allowed to go to the White City concert, she was a 13 year old girl from the west of England, but when she visited her grandparents in London some time later, there were a lot of not delivered newspapers on the street, probably because of the strike. So she took them and cut the articles about David and his concerts, and now after nearly half  a century I'm reading them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGuq4i6TPr4

Daily Express, Tuesday May28, 1974 : 'Top prices at the front help enormously with crowd control. If it's all one price - as it was at the White City - people at the back feel they have every entitlement to be near the stage and tend to surge forward blindly. (..) Dick Leahy - 'The price was kept down to 2.20 a ticket to encourage the parents to went with their children.'

'David Bridger ; We wanted to erect a huge back protection screen over the stage so everyone had a good view of David, but the Greater London Council turned it down..'

'At first it was believed she had had a heart attack, but yesterday her mother, 53- year old Mrs. Bridget Wheeler said ; 'The doctor has told us it was not. (..) It's sth to do with oxygen not getting to the brain.(..) She really loved him..'

And the same newspaper the next day : '..as he prepared for the Manchester City concert Cassidy said - ' I pray to God that she makes it. I don't feel responsible, yet in a way I do. I haven't slept well since this incident. It shocked me deeply, I didn't see a thing and I thought everyone was having a great time..

I'm tired and just had enough..'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibnHfKf8Umg&list=PL4WZqGwHos3TjcP_L6hnKKPs4Hf0qnpDt&index=6



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'