David Cassidy according to The History of Rock

Something different today..

I was searching for a new quote for my daily column when I found this on the website. The article about DC and The Partridge Family in The History of Music. It was a British rock music magazine published in the 80s. In total there were 2400 pages on many aspects of the contemporary music and of course many biographs. The best and the most influential British  music critics and journalists contributed to that magazine.

Let's first listen to some music. From Sound Magazine, 'I'm On My Way Back Home'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSExKeJlc3Q

Tom Hibbert (1952-2011) wrote about DC for The History of Music. The title of his article : 'David Cassidy : teen dream from tv screen.'. Where to start..There are quite a lot of info in it, at first glance everything looks ok, but I wonder where did he get the idea that it was Shirley Jones who proposed DC for the role of Keith. First heard.

But I really don't liked this : '..the music (TPF) was dull and staid even by teenybop standards. Producer Wes Farrell wrote or co-wrote many of the songs, making up the numbers by dredging up old hits and re-arranging them with more than a degree of mediocrity. Cassidy's baby face and breathy vocals sold the product.'. Harsh words. Sure Wes could made a hit and sure David himself wasn't happy with some of the songs he had to record. He felt like a product, that's why he resigned. We all know about it.. But not to find anything interesting in TPF's music..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6SQUd_Gazo

And I really don't like his opinion that DC's RCA albums - 'revealed only an average talent..'

Why am I bothering with this at all. Maybe because at the time I didn't have access to the British or American  music press and  I wonder how many similar articles were published in the 70s and 80s. And I wonder if DC had read them.  Hope not. He had to face such opinions and in his books he wrote a lot about TPF's music and musicians who recorded it..

Tom Hibbert recommended for listening just one David's album - 'Cassidy Live!'...

This is the link to that article. The question is do we need such articles on the website? I think that we do. But of course you don't have to read it..

http://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/InPrintPages/Mag_TheHistoryOfRock.html

Comments

  1. Dear Weronika, thank you very much for this also. Thank you so much for "I"m On My Way Back Home"! I love this song! I also love the Partridge Family music! Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who do not like David, his music, and the Partridge Family music. I think that is why he was not as famous here in the US as he was in Europe, and I feel very sad about this. I tend to ignore people who do not like him and his music. I really love your blog, and the great things you write about him, and the great videos, like "I'm On My Way Back Home!" I believe that this blog is for David and us fans, and so is DavidCassidy.com, David's and the Partridge Family's YouTube videos, and David's Facebook groups. I am so thankful that we David fans have these great places to go to, to read about David, see his lovely pictures, and watch such great videos about him! Thank you so very much again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'