'I write the songs that make those young girls cry..'

Yes, so true. 'I write the songs of love...my music's in your heart..' Let's listen again to this song and once again watch David Cassidy's timeless and unforgettable performance.

 'I Write The Songs'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6cwUso8CA

This is a perfect song about David and millions of his fans, and I'm sure it was one of the reasons he decided to record this song after the prior refusal. Of course we all know Barry M.'s version, but only today I've checked that very first one, recorded by Captain & Tennille.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXUMxCD3l3k

David Cassidy was the first one who released this song as a single. On July 5th 1975 it debuted at number 11 in the UK. I think his version is the best and the most personal. It's a little bit complicated to explain why. The lyrics. Barry Manilow who at first didn't want to record 'I Write The Songs', wrote in his book : 'The problem with the song was that if you didn't listen carefully to the lyrics, you would think that the singer was singing about himself. It could be misinterpretated as a monumental ego trip.' (Barry Manilow : 'Sweet Life : Adventures on the Way to Paradise', 1990).

I think that David's version was so much better because he didn't care what people would think about his ego. It was a singer singing about his music and his fans, that's why it's so moving and personal. But of course it's my own opinion.

But why writing about this song again. Because the author of that wonderful song and once the DC's producer, Bruce Johnston had birthday yesterday. He was born in 1942. He is just a few days younger than Brian Wilson, who had birthday on June 20th. Yes, it's hard to believe that they are both 80 years old..

David Cassidy once said -'at my school it was all day long 'Surfin USA'..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6sjboTIb6w

And I haven't forgotten.  About the petition. We are not those young girls anymore, but David's songs still make us ..maybe not cry but they are still so important. Please sign.

'I have my own room in your soul..'

https://chng.it/NgppymDR6K


Comments

  1. Sharron Liddle6/29/22, 2:41 AM

    One of my favourite songs and without doubt , David made it his own ! Another great reason we need to remember David’s talent and his contribution to music and get the petition signed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Weronika, thank you so much for sharing this. "I Write the Songs" is one of my favorite David songs! I really love the way he sings it in "The Higher They Climb." I really wish that it would have become a hit here in the US. I am always singing David's songs in my heart. His sad songs really did make me cry. This song tells so much about his life as a Rock & Roll singer, who was, and still is, loved by so many of us. He really does have a home in my soul, and in my heart. Thank you so much again for such a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David could make,the young girls cry. I remember going to see him at the Nassau Colliseum, on Long Island and I screamed and cried also. He was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'