The David Cassidy Story

I was  thinking  about  that film one day in London last month.

It started with musicals. I must say that  musicals are not very popular in Poland. For many reasons, anyway we have just 2 musical theaters in Warsaw (2 million people live there) and I think I've been just twice. The one show was a present from me for some guests from Iceland, it was a Polish original musical about the Polish pilots fighting in the Battle of Britain, and it was very good. Really.

And the second one was 'Miss Saigon' and it was horrible. I went to see it only because a very handsome actor was in it (it was at least 20 years ago), but he had no voice to speak of and was hopless (I wonder what happened to him, he is not popular anymore). But London, oh yes you can see how music theatre  is popular there. Maybe let's watch (and listen to) David Cassidy in Blood Brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu2MDK86Gqg

Amazing. So one day in May I was going (on foot and by tube) to meet with my English friends at one of the tube station. And everywhere, and I mean everywhere there were posters. Musicals. Differnet kinds. 'Grease' (Dominion) and 'Mamma Mia!'. 'Frozen' and 'The Lion King'. For old and for young. Even 'Back To The Future' musical. And a special category of musicals..about famous people, and not only musicians or singers, like Tina Turner or Bob Marley. Do you kow that there is a show (it was opened just 3 days ago) called 'Tony! The Tony Blair Rock Opera!'. Wow.. You probably know what I was thinking - 'And David? So he is so forgotten? It'd have been sensational, a musical about DC in London in the 70s for example. And  all what we have are just a few very good documentaries and 2 tv films, 'The Partridge Family Story' and that other one, from 2000, called 'The David Cassidy Story'..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-7AA-aJH0o

Yes..I know it was a tv movie, and the acting was not bad, and after listening to Elliot Mintz' tapes we know how much DC regretted playing Keith, and first of all how much he was disillusioned by show business, depressed and bored, tired and burned out..but I've  never been able to watch this film from start to finish.

I tried, but I've always been irritated by something. And Malcolm McDowell is one of my fav actors. And I know that it was  impossible to find someone as beautiful as DC was. But I just couldn't.

David  Cassidy was an executive producer of that biopic, and re-recorded his own hits for it. I don't know who chose Andrew Kavovit, but his David looked like a very sad teddy bear and completely without sex-appeal. No. No way. And we also know  that not everything was truthful. Of course, it was a tv movie made for general audience, not just for fans. But the film wasn't good  and the reviews weren't good either.

Maybe I will try one more time..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDDZiiPlilQ&t=3346s

the pic courtesy of David Cassidy Official Websute

Comments

  1. I think the biopic film was of the era , by todays standards it could have been so much better in so many ways . Perhaps, one day , someone will see the potential of making a better film that will show Davids career and his achievement and his strength of character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course, not worse than others. But it was made on the cheap ( I think) and I don't know why but while watching I wasn't emotionally involved, sth missing from this character . DC in the real life was so complex, full of contradictions and in the biopic was one dimensional, boring really.

      Delete
  2. Have to agree with you , I also consider that film very poorly done, as said a bad choice of actors to play “David”, and I wonder just how much input David actually had in the making of it, despite reportedly being involved in it. For me it does raise questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's interesting question how much input he had. Especially regarding the script. It's worth to remember that he was very busy at the time, 'The Rat Pack Is Back' and 'At The Copa', DC was producing, directing and performing, working even more than in the early 70s. And he re-recorded those songs. It was insane schedule again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'