'Young Love' and 'The Last Kiss'

 

Why David recorded 'Romance' album? I've got a comment after my  last entry from an American fan, Celeste. That David was much better than eighties pop. Of course, he was. He was one and only, it's such a shame that he didn't have a manager to the excent of his talent.

DC :'I believed in the Romance album and the record company believed in it and it worked. (..) I changed my look by tinting my hair. They thought I needed to get away from the look I'd had in the 70s. (..) It was clear as I toured that I had a loyal audience (..) I had no management to speak of any more, they certinly didn't work towards long-term career building. They just wanted to make some quick money off me..' (David Cassidy : 'Could It Be Forever?', 2007)

Yes, they did, and the first question is why DC did 'Romance'. Of course he wanted to be successful again, he tried so hard, nothing came out of the recordings he did in 1979, also of those from Nashville. He knew himself he wasn't a country singer. As much as we want to believe in it. his stage career wasn't so wonderful in the 80s. And last but not least he was in debt. 'God, what I wouldn't have done, over the years for some good financial advisor.'

From 'Romance', the only one song which wasn't written by Alan Tarney. Live version from 1985, much more exciting than a studio recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe1VI3a-53c

Alan Tarney, in the middle 80s was a man in demand. A-ha's 'Take On Me' when first released in October 1984 failed to chart in the UK, also a second attempt produced by Alan Tarney wasn't very successful, but it became an international hit with the third attempt and with that famous video. Alan Tarney produced the first three the most successful 'A-ha's albums and making a record with him was a big chance for David. They worked very hard together, writing new songs and re-writing one. 'The Last Kiss' in 1981 was called 'Young Love', but David made a new song out of it. It's interesting to hear Cliff Richard's first version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAVADLRn17E

Alan Tarney : 'It was David who came up with the title and lyrics. It was such a fabulous idea.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWlXzON16gw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'