Preyin' On My Mind / David Cassidy, Kim Carnes & Dave Ellingson

October, the month we write a lot about the David Cassidy's album, 'Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes'. The first truly his own.

David Cassidy : 'It's a piece of me - my whole life is in that album, and all the dreams I've ever had, if people don't like it they don't like me.'

A lot of people fell for DC, became long life fans, after listening to that record, I've read such statements many times..

Released in October 1973, 49 years ago, the most successful DC's album in the UK. The single from it, 'Daydreamer/Puppy Song became nr 1 on October 21st  (for 3 weeks). I've checked the Official Charts, so on that day it looked like that :

1. David Cassidy, 'Daydreamer/Puppy Song, 2. Simon Park Orchestra, 'Eye Level', 3. Slade, 'My Friend Stan', 4. David Bowie, 'Sorrow', 5. Status Quo, 'Caroline', 6. Elton John, 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0mrYzW6iRM

But I think even more important for David Cassidy was the fact, that  his album became number 1 too. He had enough of being a puppet, he didn't want to work with Wes Farrell any more, at that time they even weren't on speaking terms, he wanted another producer and he wanted to work with someone he admired. Rick Jarrad, the  Harry Nilsson's producer. Larry Uttal had to pay Wes Farrell to let DC work with someone else. Of course I've written about it and about that album many times. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4gvxt1WgaA

David Cassidy chose all the songs himself (except 'Daydreamer'), some co-wrote, but each of them interpreted, made them his own, gave them different, own meaning, different life. 

Today we've had a great weather in Poland, and I've been walking a little bit, listening to this album. And at one moment I've forgotten about my poor knee (Ive broken sth in it some time ago) and started walking faster because of..'Preyin On My Mind'. Amazing lyrics, just a few words are enough to know everything, we can imagine DC thinking and wondering if he should try again..and call her..and how wonderfully the tempo of that song punctuates the lyrics. Slower when he hesitates, faster when he finally leaves. Wonderful song, and in spite of the lyrics so uplifting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ21YqlPVmI



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'