You Don't Have To Tell Me / Tony Romeo

52 years ago the first episode of TPF was aired. I think we should stop writing those dates and number of years, they look scary, for us everything was just only a moment ago, and we watch those episodes and listen to that wonderful music over and over again.

As we know from the DC autobiography, he watched the first episode at his Laurel Canyon house with Sharon Lee, the editor of Tiger Beat. Of course it was a 'suggestion' from the studio. Later he didn't have time to watch the show because he  usually played concerts on Friday nights.

2 years ago on the 50th anniversary, John Arehart made an extraordinary video, I just can't find words to describe it..the fragments he chose, the editing, it obviously took a lot of time and it was done with such love and outstanding knowledge of the subject (if I can put it this way). And the music. Wonderful, timeless songs. Forget that hateful label, 'bubble gum music'. Those songs are pop classic. Thank you  John Arehart. You've made my day again (and not only mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqvM_H32bc

The Partridge Family's music scenes, it's a story in itself..small kids playing  at Las Vegas' night clubs. Great stars as they were, performing just for modest, indifferent audience, we can see among them (audience) the David's stand in, Jan Freeman, his grandfather, or girls who won some contests..But it wasn't important how the music scenes looked like. It was always a magical moment because of David and the song he was singing..

David Cassidy :'It was the musical numbers that ultimately made the show unique and more than just a sitcom. But it cost the studio, and to say they were cheap would be an understatement. (..) A lot of the time, they would use an Arriflex camera, which didn't have the capability to match my lip-synching to the music. I looked like an idiot and it would drive me crazy. It was bad enough that I had to play with people who couldn't play'. (David Cassidy : Could It Be Forever?, 2007)

But this one music scene is great, the way the family was filmed, and  each one of them knew what were singing  about, and last but not least there was a connection between the song and the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTD-Ria2qfo

On the other hand  there is one music scene anytime I watch I feel sorry for David. 'You Don't Have To Tell Me', on the last episode of the Season 2. The songs from Sound Magazine were used all that Season, it started with 'Dora, Dora, Dora' ('I Woke Up In Love This Morning), aired in September 1971, and all the songs  were performed and only this one gem was left..

Wrote by Tony Romeo, with great Mike Melvoin's piano, John Bahler's arrangement of background vocals. And first of all the David's amazing, great vocal performance. btw it should have been released as his solo recording. It should have been the David Cassidy's solo hit. That time there was no connection with the episode, the song so personal, so adult..he had to sing it with small kids (behind his back), who pretended they could play instruments too big for them..But on the other hand I have my eyes and ears only for David Cassidy.. anytime I watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSipwc3kKlE

A great day to sign the PETITION

https://chng.it/NgppymDR6K

Comments

  1. When David said, "A lot of the time, they would use an Arriflex camera, which didn't have the capability to match my lip-synching to the music." To be honest, I never noticed that David was lip-synching. I think he did a really great job! Thank you again for doing this really great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the comment about not noticing back then that David was lip syncing, I was so enchanted by his tantalizing good looks and wonderful voice!! He still 52 years later has the same effect on me that I had at 11 years old!!❤️❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'