Danny Boy / Frederic Weatherly

or Jack and David singing together on Merv Griffin Show on August 23, 1971. It's impossible not to be moved when you hear the young David's  magical voice..That interview was so important and difficult  for the 21 year old DC. And singing with his father. At least we have the audio of it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc5ZZ0iSFbk&t=63s

I thought about this recording yesterday evening. Columbo again on one of the tv channels. Last week was the episode with Sal Mineo, yesterday with Jack Cassidy. His last one, from 1976. He appeared 3 times on Columbo. On the episode called 'Murder by the Book', aired in September 1971 (directed by Steven Spielberg), "Publish or Perish', January 1974, and the one I saw yesterday, one of the most memorable Columbo's episode ever, 'Now You See Him..'. Jack as The Great Santini, once ex-Nazi, Stefan Mueller.

It was the first time yesterday since the 70s that  I saw this episode from start to finish on a quite  big screen, not just a fragment from YT on my laptop. Like this one, the last 6 minutes. Just look at his eyes..like David's..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjIGEpjXdI4

That episode was aired on February 29, 1976, at the time DC probably was still recording his last RCA album in Colorado.

Jack Cassidy as The Great Santini, the master of illusions...At first I was astonished how old and tired he looked, he was 48 years old. A lot of make up didn't disguise his puffy eyes. And his voice, and the way he talked...so like David in later life. The longer I watched the more impressed I was. His professionalism, those magical tricks he performed as Santini, just amazing. His trademark smile, his charisma. 

Later I talked with my friend B. about it. She said she'd watched all those 3 episodes with Jack, and that he just had played himself, so sure of himself and so arrogant. Maybe..but he was a fascinating man, and  after 24 hours I'm still under his spell. 

Like Father, Like Son..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KPpdWop8zE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'