'I Was Good Friends With David..'

This is something which has really made me think today. The interview with Gerry Beckley published yesterday by  Joe Matera on www.goldminemag.com. 

As the readers of my blog know very well, I'm a huge 'America"s fan. I became a fan when I had no idea about DC, and for me it was something wonderful and very moving when I learnt about their friendship, and the songs they had  written and recorded together. David and Gerry. This one for example..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izpXaXfdBZA

In the yesterday's interview Gerry Beckley was asked about his work with DC. What was that experience like ? He didn't answer this question directly, he said that he was good friends with David, and how happened that he produced the DC's last RCA album.

He also said sth about The Last Session and  I want to quote his words : ' on the documentary he (DC) is truly one of those tragic figures and most of it was self-inflicted wounds in his case, and he wrestled with his own demons but I tried to stay out of that doc because I didn't want to tell a darker side as I didn't necessarily want to be the guy that contributed to all that stuff..' 

There is also that famous pic with smiling David, Eric Carmen and Gerry, made in 1976..For many reasons his words haunt me today..One more song co wrote with Gerry Beckley (and Ricky Fataar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYJ_5qKi2f4

Because I really have been so sure that The Last Session is very good and needed. Very hard to watch, but  DC wanted this doc to be made and released..but as we know this is not a whole story, and The Last Session shows him only as a teen idol and later only that 'dark side', what more it pigeonholes DC again, as  a man who had everything..you know. Nothing about how underrated singer he was..I feel today..that I was very naive..I don't know what to think about it. Only 'Wish you were here..'

And at the end Gerry said that working with David, bc of that 'dark side' - 'wasn't as sweet and fun as you would imagine it would have been,'

David Cassidy and Gerry Beckley - 'Livin A Lie'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWXx03VFVsY

and the link to the interview

https://www.goldminemag.com/interviews/gerry-beckley-of-america-on-david-cassidy-friendship-featured-in-breaking-bad-and-more?

the pic from recording session photos from the inner sleeve of original album (Home Is Where The Heart Is)

Comments

  1. Hi Weronika, thank you so much for sharing this. I feel so bad about all of David's problems, and how unhappy he was. If he only knew how happy he made us all, and how happy he still makes me and so many others. He helped many of us through our problems, and still does, and always will. His beautiful smile always makes me feel happy again. When I feel happy, he always makes me feel happier! Thank you so much for also sharing this beautiful song and video, "Take This Heart," and thank you again for doing this great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy. I hope he knew how important he was for us. He helped many people, and he still helps..

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'