'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'

Last week someone posted a screenshot of the article from May 1974, unfortunately without the date or the name of the paper. Written by a popular journalist Roderick Gilchrist, I think it was Daily Express. We can read that this interview took place at London Weekend Television's Building, on the day before the DC's last concert in Manchester. 

And David said, "I feel like the door to the cage has just been opened. And, any minute now I'm going to be able to fly right away from my prison. I can't tell you how happy that makes me feel because I'll be free again.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG0hjhwKx5s

His prison..Of course there have been other teen idols in the history of pop culture, but somehow for those from the 70s it was like someone put a curse on them. Nothing David Cassidy recorded later in life hasn't changed a bit that first opinion some people had of him and his music. My FB friend, Laurie Eby has written, "I researched 'New York City Life', and the style of the song is listed by bubblegum, contemporary pop/rock, teen idols". Can you believe it..

But also The Partridge Family's music, I can't understand why those songs were called bubblegum. Yes, maybe not all were great, but so many should have been regarded as one of the best pop songs of that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBc549rcF4

Great music, the lyrics, the arrangement, and last but not least the young David Cassidy's magical voice.

And many singers protested when they were called teen idols. I've read some interviews with Marc Bolan and him saying he was not David Cassidy, no way..

In that article DC also said , "And that TV show I did, The Partridge Family. Yesterday I looked at one I made 4 years ago and squirmed inside. Could that really be me? I hardly ever bothered to learn my lines properly because I just hated being in the show. But I was tied to it by the contracts."

We understand why he wanted to put those 4 years behind him, and we are glad that later in life he embraced his past, the music and the show itself. It's still such a joy to watch, and DC wrote in his book in 2007, "The simplicity and innocence of the show and the portrayal of a close family is what appealed to audiences. It made people feel good.' (David Cassidy: Could It Be Forever?, 2007, p.124)

Still does. I watched the episode about a skunk last week. With my grandsons. They don't know English, but they understood everything and they loved it. They asked questions. "Can we have a picnic too?", "What did they have to eat/drink?", "How fast the lift went up?",  "How long did it take to fill the bath with tomato juice?",  and my favourite one, "Grandma, how the skunk returned home?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um7H4MG3lEE

The pic - The David Cassidy Official Website


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..