'Just Hold You One More Time..'

I've been thinking recently about the second David Cassidy's solo album. And just today a short note about 'Song For A Rainy Day' (from LP 'Rock Me Baby'), has appeared on The David Cassidy Official Website. Btw I can't call this note an article.  

It's also a good opportunity for me to write that for quite a long time I've had nothing to do with the website. And I'm sorry about it,  because I think the time is not on our side, but that's the way it is.

'Rock Me Baby' could have been an outstanding album, but it didn't. There are two great songs on it, 'How Can I Be Sure' and 'Song For A Rainy Day'. I love singing the last one along with DC (in my car of course), sometimes it's 'to hold you just one time' or 'imaging holding you one time'. Not very grammatical, but you can't use 'once' in that fragment.. 

It's a great song, written by David Cassidy and Kim Carnes, so wonderfully sung by him, with such passion and sadness, despair even. Interesting but every time I hear Chicago's 'Hard To Say I'm Sorry', and it happens a lot when I'm on holiday, there is one fragment which reminds me of the DC's song. Not only because of the word, 'hold'..The Chicago's hit was released in May 1982..

A very special video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ6qjfK72L8

The second David Cassidy's solo album was an attempt to introduce him to a more mature audience, with more rock, rhythm and blues, blue-eyed soul, and very adult oriented lyrics. David had more to say, but it was Wes Farrell who had the last word. At the time relations between them were tense. Everybody knew that David was 'on his way out', as Henry Diltz said for the Rolling Stone's article, that he passed his peak as a teen idol. Something should have been done about it, and again the best musicians were working for David. But..Money, sales were the most important, and I can imagine Wes Farrell talking with the Bell's executives. 'He thinks he is a rock singer? Let him sing rock. He thinks he can write a good song ? Great. But we can't forget about his fans, little girls in love with him. It must be something for them too : love ballads, a hit, and some spoken parts in this sexy voice of his.'

In this song that spoken part was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upQtZYheaz0

It's not bad on 'Rock Me Baby', but it was completely unnecessary on 'Lonely Too Long'. It must have been a very bitter pill to swallow for David. He was a Young Rascals' fan, he wanted to make this cover, but..maybe he should have recorded it later. The original is outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkxPGdZIY-c

In many reviews we can read that album was not bad, David had 'fair' voice, 'How Can I Be Sure' was his great, expressive vocal achievement, and he succeeded where both Young Rascals and Dusty Springfield had failed, taking the song to number 1 in the UK (Richard Philips-Jones). 

I've always thought that the best on 'Rock Me Baby' were the DC's own songs, and if he could have recorded more for that album... First of all 'Love Is All That I Ever Needed' should have been on it. Not the last song on 'Sound Magazine', but the first and maybe the title song on the David Cassidy's second solo album released 51 years ago.

Another great video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGrdlR1fKr4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'