'Billy and Blaze' And Some Other Books

First a very special video. A lot of outstanding DC's pics and a fragment from 'Blue Peter', but someone else is singing. The lyrics, just like for us, remembering David Cassidy even more in November.. Written by Tim Hardin (1941-1980),  a folk and blues songwriter, one more amazing man I got to know because of being David Cassidy's fan..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpqb4x6zHoA

I was talking with Mary Anthony about books a few days ago. It was very interesting for me (a former librarian), also because I'd love to know more about American literature, and of course our conversation made me think of David and books. 

Now no one would ask a teen idol what he liked reading, but 50 years ago David sometimes was asked such a question. And I've read in one interview, I think it was from 1970, that his favourite book was Hermann Hesse's 'Steppenwolf', which has made me laugh really, because that was what most young people said in the late 60s and 70s, me included. The book was seen as an counterculture, because Hesse wrote openly about free love and drug use. But probably DC didn't read it when he was a teen (me either).

Great DC's cover of the song which was written because of early counterculture era clashes between police and young people in LA, in November of 1966. I'm sure DC saw those riots, or even took a part in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNGVKrFL2fg

He read everything about horses, we can see books on them in DC's cars, he read them in his free time on the set of Partridge Family. And I think that much earlier, when he was a kid, he read books about a boy named Billy, his brave pony Blaze and his dog, Rex. Clarence William Anderson wrote his first book about Billy in 1936. Im sure that David Cassidy read also other C.W. Anderson's books. Born in 1891 he dedicated his life to horses. He wrote 36 books on horses,  (including 11 for children), with his own illustrations. His artwork, drawings, lithographs and engravings hung in many museums and galleries. He was a very known and respected judge of show-jumpers. A great figure in the horse world. He died in 1971.

Seven Anderson's stories read by David Cassidy were published in 1983. They are just magical in his interpretation. I can imagine him while recording, smiling but also sad, thinking about his childhood, his father, about his first pony, his first dog. David's voice..I can listen to him for hours. He had great diction, you can hear every word so clearly, and it's obvious that he enjoyed reading those stories very much. They are wonderful and I've translated some of them into Polish for my grandsons. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLi1YI1ORno&t=35s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'