Go Now / Larry Banks and Milton Bennett

I've listened to 'Rock Me Baby' today in my car, it's helped me to return home, we've had first snow, very heavy one, and of course, like always, everybody been surprised by it. 

What a wonderful song 'Go Now' is, wrote in the early 60s. First released in January 1964, by Larry Banks's former wife Bessie. 'Go Now' was written for her, and that original version is really very good. Great voice, dramatic interpretation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prlWGe2EHro

But as we, David Cassidy's fans know too well, life and especially show business are not fair. Moody Blues added an exlamation mark (Go Now!) and recorded it in the same year, 1964. The single was released in the UK in November. And it was Denny Laine who after hearing Bessie Banks' version, convinced the band to record that song. It became number 1 in the UK, and number 10 in the USA. Now people don't remember (I've learnt about it only today) that Moody Blues' 'Go Now!' is not the original. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2L3UzM_FfE

It was a great hit, but Denny Laine soon left Moody Blues (was replaced by Justin Hayward), and when he was with 'Wings' he performed this song in concert. 'Go Now!' appeared on highly successful (number 1 in the USA) 'Wings over America'. And I remember the day when that album was played on our radio, in 1976, and I managed to record it on my Grundig Reel to Reel tape recorder. I was a huge Wings' fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMee_r95Nfs

Amazing. I haven't listened to it for more than 40 years, and it's a great live performance. So moving, also because of David Cassidy's connection. 

DC: 'Paul McCartney invited me and Steve Ross (..) to Paris to watch the last rehearsal for the Wings over America tour. They did the whole show on that huge stage with all those special effects just for Steve and me, Two nights later we went to the actual concert and were invited up on stage and played with Paul and Wings' 
(David Cassidy : 'Could It Be Forever ?', 2007, p. 191).  

Can you believe it..Why we don't have just a single pic from that concert..David playing with Paul McCartney, Linda, Denny Laine, Joe English, and this unhappy guitar genius Jimmy McCullough. 

And last but not least David's version. His 'Go Now' is different, his voice is the most important, The lyrics and interpretation. It's his own and very private, emotional cover.

I've just discovered that his version is not mentioned on Wikipedia. I'm now Wikipedia editor and will try to do something about it later. 

Now let's listen to David Cassidy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d_pC9Pk3ek

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'