All I Wanna Do Is Touch You / Irwin Levine and L.Russell Brown

B-side of David Cassidy's single, 'Cherish', released in September 1971. The single hit number 9 on November 13, 1971, and stayed on the charts for 11 weeks. And I've been listening today to it in my car and singing..'All I Wanna Do Is Touch Yooouuu..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pG17uX7M8U.'

It's amazing how DC kept improving his singing during his teen idol's years. Of course from the start he wasn't a complete amateur, he sang in a choir as a boy, his grandma probably was his first singing teacher, and later singing lessons must have been important part of his preparations for the role in 'Fig Leaves Are Falling'. We have an audio from it. 18 year- old David Cassidy singing..

https://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/TheatrePages/FigleavesForOurSake.mp3

David Cassidy wrote in his autobiography about The Partridge Family's songs : 'Although most people didn't appreciate the merit of the songs back then, I think that the fact that they've held up to time proves they were good. (..) I've always been proud of the work I did. I was fortunate that I was working with the greatest musicians, the greatest writers. I learned how to write from being around amazing songwriters like Tony Romeo, Wes Farrell, Gerry Goffin, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil.(..) I learned fast, I was like a sponge.' (David Cassidy : 'Could It Be Forever?', 2007, p.84)

It's so emotional to read. He wrote this fragment many years later after he stopped being Keith Partridge, but somehow still felt compelled to defend those great songs. And I'm sure all those great musicians knew very well how good David was, as a singer and a songwriter. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfkF3QUZhjo

But David Cassidy was pigeonholed for life..A former teen idol, bubble gum music. One audition, one decision has changed his life forever. I've thought about it recently after reading an article about Stephen Stills. A living legend, Buffalo Springfield, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Rock&Roll Hall Of Fame etc..One of young David's heros. His friendship with Henry Diltz started with the conversation they had about Stephen Stills. On the very first day when Henry Diltz was on the set of The Partridge Family. He told David he just had returned from England where he'd lived and worked at Stephen Stills' house...And David wanted to know everything about it.

He later performed a great cover of Stephen Stills the most famous song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNGVKrFL2fg

And a few days ago I learned that 20-year-old Stephen Stills took part in The Monkees' auditions. That he was a serious candidate, but he wasn't chosen because ...he had thinning hair..Can you believe it.. He could have become a teen idol..The irony of life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'