She'd Rather Had The Rain / Terry Cashman and Tommy West

This song has been playing in my mind a lot recently. Also during Christmas. The snow has melted and it's been raining non stop..And in the morning I've got on Google Alerts another DrQuizzler's David Cassidy/Partridge Family's cover. What a coincidence. I know nothing about this man, besides that he likes doing covers, and from time to time he records (all by himself) a DC's song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WtDmuCtbIA

It's very moving, I can imagine it wasn't easy to play it and sing, and make a video. Partridge Family's songs only look easy to sing because David Cassidy's sung them so effortlessly. Let's listen to one more amateur cover, it was a mother's day gift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpDzazacUEw

It's easy to laugh at them, but I think it's wonderful, and it's love from start to finish, and a lot of hard work to make it happens. It was recorded 15 years ago, and that mother died 2 years ago.

DrQuizzler's cover has made me think about the book on David Cassidy I wrote in 2018. I was on a tour around the UK in April that year, and it was so emotional being in many places connected with him, I felt his presence, but also was very disappointed that DC was so forgotten. There were no his albums in any music store, it was annoying that in bookstores there were biographies of everyone but his. And when I returned home, I woke up one day, opened my laptop and started writing, and it was like I already had this book in my head. The title, 'Don't Call Me a Former Teen Idol'.

Let's listen to the version altered by John Gomolka.

https://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/DiscographyPages/She'd%20Rather%20Have%20The%20Rain_JohnGomolkaVersion.mp3

Amazing how good David was from the start, it was recorded in 1970, and released in February 1971 ('Up To Date').

But let's return to my book. I was writing it for 2 months, each morning going first for a walk to the forest with my dog, and thinking about what I wanted to write. The writing itself was very easy, and because I was doing it for myself, so I had no problems with copyrights, and I included some pics and each chapter's title was the title of a DC's song, and there were also fragments' of the lyrics of his and Partridge Family's recordings, e.g. the chapter about DC and Kay Lenz' marriage was called 'She'd Rather Had The Rain'.

When I finished it, I found a small local printing house, the owner was very impressed, he showed me all printing equipment, helped with preparing the book for printing and how and where make binding .. I've made a lot of new friends and it was a challenge and a great adventure to make it. And at the end there were 15 printed hardcover copies, I sent them to my friends in the UK and one to Iceland for my sister. The things we do for love..

One more song about the rain from 'Up To Date' album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzYwZIebKJ4

The pic - The David Cassidy Official Website


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'